Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New power supply

Hi

I am currently designing a new power supply setup for my lx200 and was wondering why a lot of astronomy equipment is powered via the cigar lighter type plug and socket.

Is it just because in years gone by most people used their cars/ batteries for supply or is there a another reason ie. Better waterproofing, internal fusing etc.

I was considering a 1/4" mono jack plug and socket for dc supply

Any thoughts welcome

Kevin

This weekend I've got all the bits needed for my plan to build a power distribution hub using speakon connectors, which are designed for high current (upto 30A) non-mains supplies (designed for audio signals in PA systems, so won't run risk of someone connecting it to the mains). They're also locking so not prone to being accidentally pulled out. They seem pretty ideal.

The cigarette lighter plug is a cheap and nasty connector that is very unreliable but everything astro related appears to use it I assume because it is cheap and readily available.

Given the option I would go for locking XLR type of plugs or some bayonet locking mil spec connectors

Hi

I work in the electronics industry and it should not be too difficult to change any plugs.

I have been looking at the speakon plugs and sockets they seem robust enough and if the power is off before disconnect it should be ok.

I am training myself to always go through a connection and power up sequence and then power down and disconnect sequence each time ie. Never hot plug!

The only item I still need is an enclosure to put the psu in and finish it in black to match the lx200.

Kevin

Archived