Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 130m

I would highly recommend First Light Optics (sponsors of this forum) to get your scope. I looked at a 130P but ended with a 150P dob - about the same price but you get more optics for your money - they're easy to use and set up, but not so good if want to do any photography

Hi wozza,

My thoughts are go for the 130P as you should be able to fit a motor at a later point. I have just spent the last few weeks searching around for the best pound for pound reflector and I believe the Skywatcher range delivers the goods.

As fo FLO, initial impressions for me is superb, ordered a 150P yesterday and should hopefully be with me tomorrow :)

John.

So which one will be easier to use the 130m or 130p ? I have made a few enquires about these scopes with regards to price and as everyone has said FLO are the cheapest .I even went to the local shop in Wellington but even without any postage he was still dearer so it looks like whatever scope i get it will be from FLO unless i can find something used and local

Looking at the 130p myself for a first scope, on FLO the details say

Magnifications (with optics supplied): x26 & x65

and the 130 says

Magnifications (with optics supplied): x36, x72, x90, x180

Is the 130p lower mag due to having no x2 barlow in the kit?

Hi,

I am pretty sure that the 130 is 900 in length and the 130P is 650 in length, i.e. the tube is shorter for the 130P, so assuming they both come with the usual 25mm and 10mm eyepieces...

The 130 gives x36 and x90 (72 and 180 presumably with a supplied barlow) and the 130P gives x26 and x65 with the same 2 eyepieces (again presumably you get no barlow with the 130P to get the extra 2 mags).

I hope this makes sense, (and I also hope that I don't get shot down immediately as this is my first 'helpful to somebody' post so fingers crossed that I have got my sums correct).

John.

I also have a version of the 130P (SW Heritage). Its a great scope with really great optics. Its short focal length (650mm) does mean that it will struggle slightly at HIGH magnification but i have only found this when observing planets. It does a fine job but a scope with a longer focal length (1000mm refractor etc) will be better with planets.

Archived