NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Next purchase?

One of these.....

Celestron - Celestron Ultima Barlow

or one of these

Celestron 2x Barlow for 1.25" eyepieces (includes T-adapter) 93640

or both?

The bottom one give me the 2x converter and the adapter for a T ring to take the camera which will please both kids where as the top one only gives the 2x conversion.

I can get the T ring from here if I let them use my camera :)

Sony Alpha T Ring

Any cheaper options you know of or can suggest?

Not sure about the quality of the second one, the first gets good reviews but compared to the Televue x2 Barlow is too expensive. If it were me I'd buy this TeleVue 2x Barlow 1.25" there is 20% off that price when you get to the check out making it just £63. I used to have the Televue x2 and x3 Barlows and they were excellent, only sold them because I now use 2" ep's.

The Ultima is the one to go for in my opinion. If you see an Orion (USA) Shorty Plus barlow for sale then it's the same thing under a different brand name - often a bit cheaper than the Ultima.

What scope / eyepieces will it be used with ?.

The Ultima is the one to go for in my opinion. If you see an Orion (USA) Shorty Plus barlow for sale then it's the same thing under a different brand name - often a bit cheaper than the Ultima.

What scope / eyepieces will it be used with ?.

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/130316-starter-telescopes.html

This is where I am being lead on price currently but things could change as life through's curve balls at us.....

Its a question of keeping the price down as I can see this getting out of control very quickly......:)

I'd concentrate on sorting out the scope 1st then getting used to using it. Then your experience will inform your further investments.

There are just so many accessories for so many reasons !

With some scopes a barlow makes sense but with others you don't really need one.

Well that's torn it. :)

Been offered a Celestron astromaster 130EQ MD for not a lot of money (£60) :):icon_eek:;)

Its 3 months old and has been used twice. Comes with its box and all the CD's, packaging, manuals, batteries and bits........

OH heck :):o:o:o:o what have I got myself into??;)

Do I say YES??

Have a look at this thread:

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/104994-celestron-astromaster-130eq-md-any-good.html

On that basis I'd go for it, on the understanding that it will get you and your family started but you might want to upgrade in due course, if the bug bites.

Many eyepieces cost more than £60 !.

So reading this thread http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/104994-celestron-astromaster-130eq-md-any-good.html can you correct the Celestron's own finder to find what you are looking for or is it easier to change over to the Rigel? Seems a lot of mucking around to me once you have bought a scope even if its cheap.

Archived