NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

power tank celestron 102 slt

changed thread after reading jims in depth report on power tanks, i also notice quite a few threads where power tanks are just packing up , after reading another thread i think im going to plump for a mains supply cable ? only to use in garden .:) anyone got any throws on it most welcome ps read jims thread very good .

When using a scope in the front, I use a mains extension lead, but be very careful. Things like dew and rain can be deadly. I tend to wrap the round end, with everything plugged in, in an old towel. And make sure that you switch off at the mains before playing around with it at the end of the night. Can also be a good idea to put a lower value fuse in the plug on the extension cable that goes into the mains - that way, if anything does go wrong, that is the first thing to blow.

I should point out that I AM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN, and any out there will probably have kittens at the above, but that is what I do.

DP is right- you will need to be very careful. I used to do this with my old Meade ETX scope and ran an extension cable out into the garden which I then housed in a polystyrene box to keep the dew out. I was terrified the whole time I was doing it, even with a power trip switch protecting the whole thing at the mains.

I would go for the power tank. Although people are posting about them failing, the key thing seems to be remembering to recharge them regularly. Not such a chore and a lot safer.

Reducing the rating of the fuse in the domestic plug will only protect the equipment, it certainly won't protect you from electrocution. You should fit a RCD in line with the supply cable to the equipment, this will protect you. Moisture and mains voltages should never be mixed, personally I use a big battery to power everything.

SAFTEY FIRST ........thankyou mate i would really love to now the very best or worst power tank ....ive £40 to spend or is going cheap the wrong way to go , maybe slightly upping the price would be better .....? and thanks for tip on RCD ;) you here and read many problems with power tanks. :) minefield out there.

Power tank for the cheaper alternative. Mains for those more adventurous and RCD protected.

For super safe/super mobile I'd suggested the leisure battery route, perhaps with the nice casing which provides the 12v sockets and charge indicators - but pricey.

Imo, a power tank is a waste of money, you are buying things you don't need like a compressor or built in torch etc etc that are clearly built to a very low budget and are typically very low quality. Your money would be better invested in a stand alone deep cycle leisure battery, say 70-100Ahr rating. This will give you all the power you need, add a few cigarette lighter sockets to it and the job is done.

If we are really talking about a power tank for the celestron 102 slt then these take very little current. I have run mine off a 7Ah battery pack I got from Lidl for about 10 pounds a few years ago and it has never gone flat.

NigelM

Archived