Autoguiding a Skywatcher Skyliner 250P FlexTube AUTO

Hi,

Is it possible to autoguide the Skywatcher Skyliner 250P FlexTube AUTO with the addition of say a netbook/stellarium combination and the appropriate cable ?

I like the idea of a collapsible dob as my space to store is limited but would also like to try and do some 'basic' webcam imaging of the planets and some DSO's that don't need massive exposure times such as the Orion nebula.

Yes, but using the laptop which I already have and the software to perform the GOTO function. Basically I'm trying to avoid lashing out for GOTO as I have the kit to perform it if the scope is capable of taking the commands. Space Cowboy I see you have the dob and the skymax. I'd like both but I'm trying to avoid buying the skymax and seeing if the dob wil do the same thing. Excellent choices...How do you find them by the way ?

cheers

Simon.

Unless you build the connection hardware and write the drivers and software yourself, I think you'll find the only method of computer control of popular scopes is via goto handsets. Sepecially so for autoguiding.

But with an alt/az mount like a dobsonian you'll struggle with dso's anyway. The most cost effective way of doing it with your scope is by upgrading to the Alt/Az Goto handset and getting the Ascom interface to Stellarium or Cartes du Ciel.

Unless you're handy with electronics, hardware, and encoder programming .......

:)

If you wish to control your telescope via a computer you should read this website Multi-function interface. The article concerns the Merlin and Supatrak mounts but should also be applicable to the auto tracking dob. The interface will not provide auto guiding for DSO imaging though. but a dob base is not the ideal platform for DSO imaging because of field rotation.

Peter

Yes, but using the laptop which I already have and the software to perform the GOTO function. Basically I'm trying to avoid lashing out for GOTO as I have the kit to perform it if the scope is capable of taking the commands. Space Cowboy I see you have the dob and the skymax. I'd like both but I'm trying to avoid buying the skymax and seeing if the dob wil do the same thing. Excellent choices...How do you find them by the way ?

cheers

Simon.

I use the GOTO handset from my Skymax. I see your from Crewe, I'm at Congleton.

The skymax and flextubes are great scopes. I will probably sell the skymax as its no longer being used since I've had the dob but its a fantastic scope for it's size, great for lunar and planetary work both visual and imaging.

Archived