Skywatcher 130p synscan az goto - 2 Questions

Good people ;)

I have a couple of questions regarding my scope (a Skywatcher 130p synscan az goto).

Firstly, during the alignment process, I select Brightest Star (SouthWest or South), and then find the displayed star, center it and press enter to continue, however, the handset then asks to select and locate another star... which all seem to be in the North somewhere :). My problem is that I can't see anything in the North because my house is in the way. Any suggestions how to get around this? I'm unable to move the scope further away from the house (I run out of patio), and no, unfortunately I cannot move the house!

Secondly, how would I go about piggy-backing my bridge camera on top of the scope? The ony possibility I can see is to remove the finder scope and slot some-sort of mount into the bracket provided for that - has anyone else mounted a camera on top of one of these scopes?

Cheers

Ted

Maybe you could change settings to 1 star alignment only. If synscan is asking you to choose star you can not see , you have to use arrow buttons (the ones next to 0 button) and choose different star (the one you can see)

Hey. I have a similar issue. My garden faces south too.

I have the same scope as well. Had it for a week, only managed to get it aligned once due to the clouds but when I did I found it easier to align it with the two star method. I found I had a better choice than using Brightest Star.

With BS I could pick something like Pollux easily enough but after that it all got a bit vague.

When I did get it aligned though it worked a treat. Banged in M42 into the handset and 20 seconds later was looking at my first Nebula...amazing stuff.

Yes ^ this.

I put my Long/Lat in the wrong way round first when I was messing. I think the N co-ordinate goes first.

As I say, Brightest Star wasn't he best option for me.

Correct. There is no 1 Star align, Brightest Star then asks for a secondary and obv 2 star does.

I presume brightest star is just supposed to be easier because it half calculates what you need to look for.

2star works better for me than brightest star as you get to choose which stars. I have the same obstructed view as you except i'm blocked west and east. i usually line up on Beteljeuse in Orion first and Dubhe in Ursa Major 2 nd and that works well for me. You would have to choose a different second star. Stellarium or a planisphere would be a great help.

Good luck

David

Yes ^ this.

I put my Long/Lat in the wrong way round first when I was messing. I think the N co-ordinate goes first.

As I say, Brightest Star wasn't he best option for me.

Correct. There is no 1 Star align, Brightest Star then asks for a secondary and obv 2 star does.

I presume brightest star is just supposed to be easier because it half calculates what you need to look for.

The E/W coordinate goes in first.

Peter

Archived