Binocular Stargazing anyone tried a "neck tripod"?

Hi!

I've just started out on the fascinating astronomy journey and have just aquired a pair of 10 x 50 binos which I currently use with a tripod.

Stellarium, a planisphere and a number of astronomy books from the library are helping me find my way around.

I find the tripod extremely helpful in getting a stable image but I was wondering if a "neck tripod" would be a portable and easy to handle addition when viewing the night skies when out caravanning.

As as example the following website shows the details of one model:

Photography Neck Tripod Buy Online

Has anyone any experience of using one? - I would envisage using my binocular tripod mount in conjunction with it.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!

I must say I have found this forum an amazing source of inspiration, help and information and I am looking forward to developing my interest with a telescope when I have a bit more experience.

Robin

I agree with Will - the main problem is looking overhead and it looks like you couldn't with this.

I also agree that a monopod is the ideal thing for bins (I use one with a pair of 15x70s and it's great) - best with a head of some kind - mine's a pistol grip ball head.

Robin,

I've got a friend who swears by hers, and I've just bought one for my 15x70 binos too. They really do add significant stability but in a small package. The end of the stalk does pivot, and mine has a (crude but usable) head on it. It works particularly well if you're seated and can lean back. But even if you only hold the binos by the stalk instead of holding them directly you gain two advantages: extra stability because there is less motion, particularly horizontal motion; and secondly your arms don't ache as much because they are held at chest rather than head height.

I reckon, for the price, they have to be worth trying. Mine slots in the bino bag too - much easier than a tripod or monopod!

Helen

Archived