Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Evostar 100ED DS-Pro on a EQ3-2?

hi

After some more research and views I'm looking at the Skywatcher Evostar 100ED DS-Pro but unsure which EQ mount would be most suitable.

I'm getting the scope for visual use and it's portability so wondering if the EQ3-2 would be perfectly adequate. The only potential upgrading I'm likely to want is a dual axis motor drive but I'm quite happy to get used to and learn manual tracking for the moment.

Budget is'nt a major issue but I'm aware not to overspend on a scope that I will be using at locations away from home.

The EQ5 does'nt seem to offer anything more than being able to carry more weight than the EQ3-2 -am I right?

And for a scope weighing 3kg and 10 cm x 92cm dimensions is this well within the scope of the EQ3-2?

Appreciate any advice on this.

Also, it would be interesting to hear any user views on the 100ED as I've gone for this scope and it's higher cost thinking it will offer the best value in terms of visual use and portability.

Not sure these type of questions are easily answered but will the SW 100ED really show value for the extra cost than compared to the standard Evostar and Celetrian 100ED??

I'm happy with the 100ED being a frac for planet and moon observation being weaker for DSOs but still able to view the brightest and closest. So can any owners share their views on this scope i.e. the detail of Jupiter (given conditions will it give me a great view of the banding and GRS?) and conversely the best DSOs?

thanks and longer post than I intended! but I really want to get this purchase right:)

hi woking,

most people that buy the 100ED tend to buy it for dso imaging,

when you say you want a scope and mount thats portable i guess you plan on loading up the car with scope and flask, and going to a dark site?

the 100ED is a superb scope, but if your not imaging dso`s just have a look at the TAL100rs on EQ5, a lot of us tal owners feel that the 100rs comes dam near a 100ED, but has a slightly better focal length for planets and luner work

hi nightfisher

hi woking,

when you say you want a scope and mount thats portable i guess you plan on loading up the car with scope and flask, and going to a dark site?

yes, that exactly it - I don't have a garden so will need to get out and about for any viewing.

I did look at the Tal-100RS but they are out of stock at the moment with the 3 main dealers and for unknown reasons no more imports from Russia till the Autumn:eek:

honestly did'nt see the 100ED being a DSO imaging scope (thought that was more the 80ED with the 100ED being a bit more of an all rounder weighted more to planetary)

quite right the 100ED is longer focal length than an 80, so its better for observing, i did not know the tal`s are so hard to come by, the 100ED should have an edge over the tal, i would still reccomend the EQ5 as that would more or less future proof your mount if you were to upgrade

To be honest the only time I'm likely to upgrade to a bigger scope is if I get a place with a garden and would then be looking at newtonians. So being pragmatic it's the portability aspect that I should only be thinking of now, hence wondering if the much lighter (and cheaper) EQ3 would suit a 100 apo just fine.

Would there really be much more stability with a EQ5 than a steel legged EQ3-2 for such a scope?

it's not easy, this scope buying lark!

I would have gone for the EQ5.

It is bigger but more stable, in effect it has more potential for the future. You will add bits as time goes on.

Guess the weight you are thinking of is for the OTA only, add in a diagonal, eyepiece and finder. Not a lot individually but extra. Plossl's are light but several of the other 1.25 eyepieces I have ae not so light, and a 2 inch eyepiece is simply heavy.

The EQ5 has tubular legs which is an advantage over the EQ3-2.

Also not sure if the motors and drive are the same on both. I half think that the EQ5 ones are different and therefore may/would be a bit more substantial. If so, then again a bit more future proof.

P.S. I have an EQ5 to hold a WO Megrez 90, the EQ3-2 was a bit boarderline.

most people that buy the 100ED tend to buy it for dso imaging,

FWIW, most people steer clear of the ED100 because it's not suited for DSO imaging. As oppsed to the 80 & 120 which have a focal ratio of f7.5, the 100 is a noticeably slower f9.

IMO, the 100 should be pretty stable on an EQ5 and above, the EQ3 might take it but I would imagine it would be pretty shaky!

Tony..

ok thanks, so it's the EQ5 then - no point skimping for an EQ3 if I get more stability and less frustration with an EQ5

The OTA comes with...

Includes 2”/50.8mm Di-Electric Star Diagonal, 2" 28mm LES eyepiece, 9x50 finderscope and Aluminium case.

The OTA's all seem to sell with EQ5 and above but I can't really justify the extra outlay for HEQ5 and EQ6 when I want portability plus not likely to add much more than dual axis motors.

I can't get my head around GOTOs as to read up and struggle to find stuff myself sounds totally rewarding and I'd learn a hell of a lot too.

Totally understand motorising the scope for tracking but even then I feel I'd learn more about the scope and mount adjusting it constantly to keep stuff in view.

Still be interested in any owners view on this scope and how it compares for the extra cost.

oh and I will be back asking about eps soon too:D

I've owned an 100ED and it's not bad at all an EQ3-2 for visual use. It's a lot lighter than an Evostar 120 and the tube is a bit shorter as well.

If you can put the EQ3-2 on steel legs then that would be even better - it's compatible with the EQ5 / HEQ5 / CG5 steel tube tripods.

As Tony (Whippy) says though, the ED100 is not favoured for DSO imaging as it's a bit on the "slow" side.

Excellent scope for visual though - you would have to pay a lot more £'s to get a better 4".

I've owned an 100ED and it's not bad at all an EQ3-2 for visual use. It's a lot lighter than an Evostar 120 and the tube is a bit shorter as well.

If you can put the EQ3-2 on steel legs then that would be even better - it's compatible with the EQ5 / HEQ5 / CG5 steel tube tripods.

As Tony (Whippy) says though, the ED100 is not favoured for DSO imaging as it's a bit on the "slow" side.

Excellent scope for visual though - you would have to pay a lot more £'s to get a better 4".

Hmmm any idea where i can get steel legs for my eq4?

Archived