Struggled to find M33 (Spiral galaxy)

Took me ages to find M33 the first time, like you I knew where to look but it just wasn't there. Eventually I located it with my 10x50's then using my low power ep I found it. In my 10" Dob I felt I could just make out the slightest hint of a spiral.

M33 is a lovely face on Spiral. Of course it's beauty is revealed only when Imaged, as can be seen in the Imaging Deep Sky section of SGL. Some really splendid work there.

Easy to see why People turn to the Dark Side of astronomy :).

The darkeness being the deep shadows the discipline casts over your wallet :(.

Ron.

I am viewing it from kent. Its ok in my back garden i guess but obviously there is still street lights on outside etc.

Is there any other deep space objects that are good to look at which are easier to find? All ive managed to find at the moment is Orion's nebula

Hi Craig

You've not said what kit your using so its kinda hard to make recommendations, but M33 is a tough starter object. You need a wide field of view and low power to see it. If you've got LP it makes it very hard to see.

Good hunting and clear skies:)

Steve

Archived