Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My scope arrived !!!

Got a text lunchtime from the other half - "its here !!"

Couldn't wait to get home and open the two huge boxes that filled the hallway.... 1st one was the lightest one and contained the 200P OTA - first off it seemed big.. fantastically finished and the paintwork sparkled under the lounge light. Box two was quickly opened and the tripod set up, then the EQ-5 pro goto mount... then two weights... and a box of accessories... and then the box with the controller.... then instructions ! wow - this was a lot of scope for £663 !!

A flick through the instructions... not the most concise set of notes.. but it was fairly obvious as to what when where.... One thing that did catch me out was what looked like a small fibre washer in the middle of the mirror that didn't fall out when the tube was inverted. A PM to one of the forum members who also has this same scope confirmed my suspicion that it was something that was meant to be there.

A short while after I had the scope balanced and connected up the goto controller - and was slewing the scope around at max setting - wow these motors are quiet...

At this point it a good point to have something to eat, after which we took the OTA upstairs and test fitted in the wardrobe where it will be kept. Then it was time to check out the PC control, so the drivers for the USB serial converter was installed on the netbook and the supplied cable installed - turned everything on and opened up Winstar2 - selected an object near Polaris and clicked on follow - away the drive went with a little beep at the end. Final test was to remote into the netbook from my main PC and try it from there - It Worked !!!! :);)

Now just need a warmish, clear dark sky to set up the mount and polar align it and start some observing :)

Tell you, I's like christmas and birthday all rolled into one ;)

Sounds like you're having fun - have you ordered the clear skies ??

Hee hee... yeah... tried :)

Knowing my luck it will be wet and windy now for the next few weeks ;)

I just can't stop right clicking on stars and watching the mount whizz a way - fascinating to watch both axis move at the same time :)

Guys, thanks for all the replies

excellent and best of luck, im tempted to get one of them hearing your joy

To be honest, it's worth every penny. And I would have no hesitation in recommending Rother Valley Optics from where I purchased it. The staff are really helpful and provided a high quality service.

The small fibre washer is the collimation spot and it is meant to be there - you'll need it when you collimate.

Glad its all working out and wishing you clear skies :)

Yeah... I was all set to start un-screwing things when Nick replied to a PM telling me it was supposed to be there :p

Right... off to price up a collimator ... it's my birthday in three weeks :);) Oh yes more goodies ;)

One question... I can't seem to make the holder for the synScan hand unit stay in the accessory tray... it's too loose - how does it get secured (couldn't see any screws ??)

Archived