Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon 1100D

I saw that... I was wondering what the release of the 1100 might do to the price of the 1000...

Nothing yet as the 1100D has come in at the same price point as the 500D. And Canon have also released a 600D at the same price point as the 550D. So the question is, are Canon deleting the 500D and 550D?

Which would mean the 1000D will soldier on as the base model with an unchanged price.

Just done some searching on the photo websites and it appears the new range is this:

Canon 1100D

Canon 550D

Canon 600D

The 500D has already been deleted, so only available while stocks last. While the 1000D gets the chop very soon indeed. So could be some deals while the stock is cleared.

The 550D will fall to the current 500D price point. Which means the 1100D will fall closer to the current 1000D price point.

According to Canon Rumors (colonial spelling I'm afraid) the 500 is going from the range whilst the 550 (being quite new) is not.

The 1100 should have higher usable ISO than the 1000 and also should have better noise control (certainly when comparing 7D to 50D the 7D is less noisy [with less pattern noise])

HTH

Andy

Yes it should - but any adopters will need to be aware that the DIGIC IV noise reduction (for in-cam JPEG) is quite aggressive compared to the DIGIC III so using JPEGs for serious shooting is not recommended!

It never is, only RAWs should be used until the final post processing "Save as"

Maybe once the new range comes out there'll be some keenly priced second-hand bodies available? Maybe.

I use my 1000D for "normal" photography too, which is why it's not been modified. I may at some stage in the future get a 450/500/550/1000d body and have it modified, but I want to develop ('scuse the photographic pun) my skills first! :(

I think the key thing about the 1100D is that it's 12Mpixel and can go to ISO6400. That's a new combination for Canon and the hope is that the lower pixel density (lower than 18MPixel that is) will given cleaner images. The last 12Mpixel camera could only go to ISO1600.

Of course, the new 600D has an articulated screen which is also a useful astro feature... and they are both lighter than the 60D which is another advantage.

I am sure all these new models will be on the Canon display stand at 'Focus on Imaging' NEC - in early March. At least you will be able to talk with the technical Canon staff that will be there if you want other info.

I would also guess that the 1000D will be on sale at the various retailers also at the NEC at the same time. Good time to buy! :(

Mark

Archived