NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Camera?

samuel.penn

Hi all,

I have a Celestron NexStar 5SE, and I'm thinking about getting a digital SLR to plug into it to try some astrophotography. I currently have a mount for my compact camera, though it's fiddly lining up the camera with the mount and eyepiece, so I'm guessing an SLR which could be mounted directly would make like a lot easier.

Can anyone recommend a good first choice (i.e. not too expensive, but something which will give good results - I'm aware both requirements are subjective!)?

I have the option of trading my scope in for a bigger one through Astronomia, and I'm considering upgrading to the 8SE if I'm still interested in a few months (I got the scope for Xmas, so it's currently a new hobby in threat of termination if the weather doesn't improve soon!) if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any advice,

Sam.

The Canon 1000D is a very good camera. Its slightly cheaper then other Canons but does the same job. Nikon also do quality cameras but i dont know the prices of those and have only ever used a point and shoot Nikon........which i'm very happy with.

I did try imaging also with the point and shoot an an adapter and as you say, it was fiddly and i soon gave up trying. The whole thing of sticking an SLR onto a scope is much better and easier.

P.S.~~~dont give up on the hobby due to the weather. Trust me any time you get out there after a spell of cloudy nights the flame is reignited and you feel great about the hobby once again.

Hi Sam, I think a Canon is the best bet, there is a website called "Deepsky" where there is a good article on DSLRs. Make sure you get the Canon capture software with it so you can control the camera via a laptop. I wouldn't bother with Nikon IMO.

I've got a 20D but the 40D has more useful functions like 'Live view'. You'll also need a focus mask. Google focus mask and you should be able to find a free pdf to down load to suit your scope.

Okay, it looks like the Canon EOS 1000D would be a good choice. Checking on Amazon, they have:

Canon EOS 1000D body only.

Canon EOS T Ring

Celestron T-Adapter, Universal 1-1/4"

Anything else I'd need? (I have memory cards)

Unless the Canon software works with Linux, I doubt that it's going to be of any use to me. An Android app would be nice though....

Thanks for the help, and yeah, I'm going to stick with things, but it's a bit annoying at the moment. I got a whole 30 minutes of clear sky last night.

Sam.

I now have all of the above. I'd have to say that I wouldn't recommend the Canon - it doesn't support USB mass storage, making getting images off it to the computer more trouble than I was expecting.

The picture taking side of the camera seems fine though, so thanks for the suggestions.

Sam.

I now have all of the above. I'd have to say that I wouldn't recommend the Canon - it doesn't support USB mass storage, making getting images off it to the computer more trouble than I was expecting.

The picture taking side of the camera seems fine though, so thanks for the suggestions.

Sam.

Don't u use the EOS utility? Then you can rename and get them filed exactly as you want...easy peesey.

Or what I and many do...don't shoot to card, but straight to Monitored folder....

The 1000D is a great idea but don't 'trade up' to more focal length. Trade 'down' to a shorter focal length and faster focal ratio for imaging. Before spending a penny read Making Every Photon Count. When you have read that you will have a good idea as to why more aperture is not, not and not what you need to get started in imaging!

Olly

Don't u use the EOS utility? Then you can rename and get them filed exactly as you want...easy peesey.

Doesn't work on Linux. Even if it did, I wouldn't want to have to install special software on every device before I can read the images off, or hope there's an SD card reader available. gphoto works, but just mounting it would be easier.

It just never occurred to me that anyone made cameras anymore that didn't support this, so I didn't check. Oh well.

Sam.

Archived