Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Obtaining Mirrors

niknak

do you actually save money making your own scope ?

as always I think it depends.

if I bought what I am going to make as a made scope (18" f4.5 with 1/6 PV optics and HILUX coatings in a ply dob base) it would cost around £3500; add £500 if I bought an equatorial platform.

I can make the EQP for £50-75.

if I buy the optics, say £2000, then I can make the rest for approx £500-600 so I save around £1000 for the scope and £400 for the EQP.

if I make the optics too for maybe £600 then I save a further £1400 so a total saving of £2400 on buying one. that said, I have never made a mirror before so this is my least preferred option.

however, you can buy a used 16" Lightbridge for £1000 approx so maybe I need to rethink my approach!!

thankfully I am nowhere near with the funds so have lots of time to think. :)

Being realistic, the chances of making a decent 16" or 18" mirror at home, are fairly thin.

To buy a mirror set, Oldham Optical Web Site would be a very good place to start.

Otherwise, as suggested, a s/h Lightbridge, and junk the mechanics. There has to be someone out there who has a damaged scope and doesn't know what to do with it.

Being realistic, the chances of making a decent 16" or 18" mirror at home, are fairly thin.

To buy a mirror set, Oldham Optical Web Site would be a very good place to start.

Otherwise, as suggested, a s/h Lightbridge, and junk the mechanics. There has to be someone out there who has a damaged scope and doesn't know what to do with it.

Well if there is someone out there with a damaged scope that would like to move it along to a good home please please please do get in touch :)

Archived