NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eskimo Nebula - NGC 2392

DarkerSky

Sketch of the Eskimo Nebula from my 12" at x150 magnification.

31-Jan, 2011

NGC2392EskimoNebula.png

A smiley face in the sky greeted me Monday evening! Spent about an hour at the eyepiece squeezing out the detail on what I regard as one of the most impressive planetary nebula in the winter sky.

The detail I was picking up in the central disc was tremendous. Made out three brighter segments to the disc's edge, and an elongated shape that pointed down like a chin to the north, and flatter across the south...a bit like an alien head!

A darker segment was made out in the outer disc, brushed up against the NW boundary of the inner disc.

Great sketch. Enjoyed view of the Eskimo in my 10" early hours Monday morning and found it hard to pull away from the EP. Up there in my top 3 favorites. Interesting to see how much more detail only 2" extra aperture would make. What focal Lent is it ??

SPACEBOY

Thanks for the comments all. It was great fun observing it

Spaceboy - it's a fast scope F4.

The main thing was my baader EP and slight averted vision. These I think were key in me getting the details. The finest details only showed for a few seconds at a time over the course of about an hour. Once what I had seen flitted into view a few times then i was confident enough to call it on the sketch

Archived