Need Advice on Value

8" Orion Dob; 4 EPs; Telrad, Filters including Polarizing for 300GBP  

14 members have voted

1. 1. 8" Orion Dob; 4 EPs; Telrad, Filters including Polarizing for 300GBP

• You Won't Beat That Price,
    • Middlin' Good Price But Not a Steal
    • Good Value for Money
    • A Bit High But You Won't Regret It
    • Seller Is Asking Too Much for That Kit.
    • I don't know either.

For the first time in the several months that I've been looking, I've found an 8-inch Orion dob for sale. From the photographs posted with it, care seems to have been given to the dob and to the accessories. Those include a Telrad, 26mm and 7.5mm Plossi eps plus a 12.5mm Meade ep and 24.5 mm 2" super wide angle from Meade. The seller also offers several color filters and a polarizing filter and the whole has a dust cover. I have no experience whatever and no way to gauge the value of the offer. The USD equivalent of 300GBP ($475USD) is the asking price. I've made no offer because I don't know enough. So, I'm posting this poll.

I'm the only voter so far RH !.

As a package I don't think that's bad value. Gets you up and running with a few useful accessories as well.

Over here the Skywatcher equivalent of the scope alone costs just over £300 new. add in the 3 additional eypieces, the filters and Telrad and you would have £430 or so I believe.

So it's not bad value in my opinion, not great, but not bad at all.

I've voted Rabbit :)

Johns advice above is a good guide. I usually look up the "new" prices of each item in the package on the internet. Get the cheapest ones you can find, and add it all together. You should be paying between 50% to 66% of the total depending on the age and condition of the gear. If it's a bit rough or over two years old I'll perhaps put in an offer under 50%.

But then - I'm a haggler and love a good bartering session lol :)

Would agree with Brant. Near new good quality equipment I would go to 70-75% of new, but a first offer wouldn't necessarily start there unless I really wanted it or it was likely to be popular. Most equipment I have purchased over the last year has been around the 60% of new mark, and coincidently been the sellers asking price so I haven't haggled. Some sellers place a higher value and that is absolutely fine, there will always be another one. Probably worth considering (but in my experience all bought kit has been in excellent shape) in UK most warranties are not transferable, is this the same in US?

I voted for good value based on this:

over here the dob by itself would only be worth £150-200. But lets say the plossls were worth £15 each, that's £45. The Telrad is worth £25. And the jewel in the crown is that Meade 4000 24.5mm SWA, a classic eyepiece and worth a fair bit. Over here it would fetch £50-70, over in the states i know it fetches a bit more. Add that all up and you have:

200+45+25+70 = £340 or $549

Excellent value and a great setup :)

Thank you, one and all, for helping me figure out the relative value of this scope. Since starting this thread, I've learned that it is one of the Orion's that was dubbed the Deep Space Explorer model which I understand was displaced by the Skyquest XT model. I'm sure this means that the scope is a few years older, but I don't know for sure what improvements were made in the newer model. From reading the Skyquest user manual, it appears that some changes were made in the base by the addition of springs to add tension to the elevation hub movement. I don't know what other changes if any were made. I've also read that the Deep Space Explorer components were made in the USA and the the later model is made from components manufactured in China. I read Sky at Night article comparing the USA - China optics in a 6" primary mirror scope. The article rated the optics favorably and mentioned improvements that a user could make to emulate those made with the model change. This information leads me to ask if it would change your overall assessment vote? Worse? Better? About the same? I've not yet communicated with the seller. He is about 175 miles North of my location and the winter storm that rolled in from Canada yesterday is likely to prevent my making a drive up that way until some time next week or the following weekend. I plan to make the drive if, when I speak with him, he seems willing to consider negotiating the price. If I do go to inspect the scope, it will be the first one I've seen; therefore, I'd like pointers on what to look for. I'm assuming that I will be able to see any damage or discoloration to the primary and secondary mirrors (but I might be wrong). Dents and dings or touch-up paint would indicate rough handling. The focuser mechanism should be a 2" Crayford with 1.25mm and 2" opening capability. The eyepieces are not likely to be vetted until I've used it and learned more than I know now; so I have to assume that I'll have to trust the Plossi name and the Meade name on them. The telrad is unknown to me. I don't know what to look for to ensure it is sound. I've read that mirrors can be afflicted with mold or fungal growth. I have no idea how to rule it out. I DO know that I mustn't put finger prints on mirrors. If you would be so kind, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on the older model affecting value, the quality of USA-made optics vs China-made, and any instructions you can give me about inspecting the device - what to look for and how to tell if what I see is acceptable or unacceptable. Also - remaining optimistic - if I should purchase the scope, do you have any recommendations for securing it for transport? I will be driving an old ('93) Honda Accord and was considering dismounting the OTA from the base, placing the base in the boot and wrapping the OTA up in a duvet and strapping it down to keep it from rolling about or falling off the seat. Again, thank you for the kind advice given so far. I'm sure you can see that I am about to slide over the edge and down the slippery slope to join you guys and gals. I would appreciate your forbearance with my questions. I promise to pay it forward in future when I've gained some experience to share. Regards, -rh

Archived