Evostar 120 vs Skymax 127?

hi all

I've been lurking on this excellent forum and following lots of net research and headscratching have finally posted for much needed advice on 2 scopes of which I want to make my first clear skies purchase.

My current interest is observation (although aware to purchase correctly now if I ever want to expand on this) and want a good all round scope for viewing both planets and DSOs.

The scope needs to be portable enough for me to load into my car and be carried/set-up at the nearest decent site.

Evostar 120 Eq5 - £367.99

- this is cheaper with the Eq3 but from I've read this scope really needs the EQ5, am I right on this? (any idea why FLO only sell this with EQ3 as a package?)

- what is the actual size and weight of this scope? I have a hatchback and not put off by a bit of weight to carry but what is the actual length and diameter of this scope? (net searching even on Skywatcher website only shows focal length and aperature but not the actual scope dimensions)

- is this the version that comes with the Schott glass or is this the pro version?

- realistically, does this offer a good all round view of both planets and DSOs?

Skymax 127 (EQ3-2) - £352.34

- obviously smaller than the Evostar, so is the EQ3 the best mount without the need to spend more money?

- key question here....for observation what differences can I expect between this and the Evostar for planets and DSOs?

I initially set my heart on the Evostar 120, but after reading references on here to the Skymax 127 and not being sure of the actual size and weight of the Evostar, I'm now torn between the 2!!

Please help:)

I am looking to join the Guildford AS as they look to do good stuff with newbies from their website.

I think they use Newlands Corner on the road to Dorking, does anybody know if this is a good place for viewing and reasonably safe too as I plan to make my own solo visits out in the area too?

many thanks

welcome to the site. the evostar will have the brighter views and with better contrast there will however be some ca on it. the mak doesnt have the same light gathering capacity because of the central obstruction, however it won't exhibit the ca. this evostar isn't the pro version with the schott glass that one is twice the price of this. perehaps it would be a good idea to have a look at whats going on at the astro soc before you spend your cash as seeing these things in the flesh will give you a better idea

ok, I did'nt look hard enough on the skywatcher website

BK1201EQ5 - this is the Evostar 120 currently for sale here in the UK right?

tube weight 5kgs

tube dimension (dxl) 12cm x 95.5cm

does'nt seem that sizeable although can see why a EQ5 would make sense as opposed to a EQ3.

must point out that I did pay a visit to Astronomia in Dorking the other weekend but was looking at the reflectors and they did'nt have the evostar in the showroom

thanks for the welcome and the experienced advice is greatly appreciated.

I did have a good look at Dobs as well as the reflectors, but I really like these refractors due to the low maintenance and all round package. I also like the idea of what these EQ mounts offer in terms of tracking (even though I've read that you can fit a dob to a EQ too).

Think I'm decided in going for the Evostar 120 EQ, still going to mull over it for a few days though.

One query though, Harrison telescopes is offering this with EQ5 mount but as mentioned earlier FLO only offer the package for EQ3 (same price as Harrison's EQ3 one). Believe it costs more if I bought the FLO scope and EQ5 mount seperately but do you think they would pricematch Harrison's for this?

FLO seem to have an excellent rep on here so would ideally like to purchase from them but obviously not if I can get a better deal elsewhere.

If anybody has customer feedback from Harrison's it would be appreciated too - they are based at Sunbury on Thames so even more local to me too.

Hi Woking

So i guess your from Woking too?

I live not far from Newlands Corner, its not too bad a site trouble is lots of car headlights as they come up the hill are shinning over your head. It is also quite a busy spot with people coming and going till quite late.

Anyone coming into the car park will ruin your dark adaption.

I don't know how safe it is as i never use it i find it just too busy to get dark adapted properly.

I would imagine that Guildford AS meet there as it is well known, more than any other reason. I think they have an observatory somewhere else.

If you intend to travel to an observing site with your scope a lot i wouldn't be so quick to rule out a dob. Much quicker and easier than faffing about with an equatorial IMO. Plus you'll get more scope for ya money.:)

Regards Steve

Hi Woking

So i guess your from Woking too?

I live not far from Newlands Corner, its not too bad a site trouble is lots of car headlights as they come up the hill are shinning over your head. It is also quite a busy spot with people coming and going till quite late.

Anyone coming into the car park will ruin your dark adaption.

I don't know how safe it is as i never use it i find it just too busy to get dark adapted properly.

I would imagine that Guildford AS meet there as it is well known, more than any other reason. I think they have an observatory somewhere else.

hi, yes I'm from Woking hence the interest in Guildford AS and local sites.

cheers for the heads-up on Newlands Corner. I actually noticed the place on my way to Astronomia in Dorking the other weekend and at the time thought it would be a good local site to get out of Woking itself. Yes the road is too close and can imagine the headlights of cars coming upo the hill from Dorking would be a problem.

I was wondering about 'safe' sites for solo visits as at the times of night I'm likely to set-up I'm concerned about 'youths on mopeds' and those other but more shady visitors of late night car parks:eek:

GAS do have an observatory, excerpt from their website.... "It is situated near Holmbury Saint Mary, on the south-facing side of the Surrey part of the North Downs, approx 12 miles east of Guildford".

I was wondering if it just had a carpark I could use for a solo visit or if it was 'private property' - even if I'm outside, it must be a decent site.

I'm off to Astrofest tomo so my first scope decision should finally be sealed and whilst I think it's going to be the Evostar I'm going with an open mind and reasonable budget.

Good hunting at astrofest hope you find what you are looking for.

I don't know where GAS observatory is exactly, but i use a site over at Holmbury St Mary myself. Its about as far away from any towns you can get locally.

Plus the view south is not over any LP areas.

I think its about as good as it gets in our area.:)

I will send you a PM on its whereabouts if your interested but it is a fair drive from Woking.

Regards Steve

Hi,

I used to own an evostar 120, I currently own a startravel 120 (short version of the evostar) & recently bought a s/h skymax127.

I've not used the skymax enough yet to give a full evaluation, but here's a few thoughts:

Firstly i think both scopes are excellent VFM & good scopes full stop.

I really don't think you would go too far wrong with either one.

If you go for the evostar i'd really recommend paying the extra for the eq5, thats what i had, & i wouldn't be happy longterm with anything less for the evostar, just my opinion.

5kg sounds a little light for an evo120- once you've added a finder,diagonal& eyepiece that could be an extra kg or so.But the length is more significant than the weight.

Bear in mind the skymax127 is really effectively 120mm aperture-this is due to the light cone spreading out once it goes through the corrector plate & the main mirror is the same sizeish as the corrector plate.To be a true 127mm aperture, it would need a larger mirror in there.

As far as dso's go, with either scope you will need reasonably dark skies to do much with this sort of aperture. I'm reasonably happy at my edge of town location, to give you an idea, i can usually see the milky way in the summer& autumn, though it is pretty faint, if you are much worse off consider something larger for dso's or be prepared to travel.

Comparing my st120 to the skymax 127, calculations suggest the refractor should give a brighter view, & this seems borne out in practice, but the skymax is not so far behind.

Both have good contrast, on dso's maybe the refractor has a slight edge, but both are pleasing IMO.

Max field of view for the skymax- a little over 1deg with a 32mm plossl, There won't be many objects you can't fit in the field of view, i find it enough, but the evostar would give you around 1.6 deg with the same ep& 2deg+ with a suitable 2" ep.

As far as planetary performance goes, i haven't used the skymax enough yet to give you a definite answer.The skymax will probably give more aesthetically pleasing views with the lack of CA. As far as detail goes, probably pretty close, but maybe someone else can comment.

Which to go for? Well only you can decide that!, for myself it would be the skymax, purely because my requirement is for small, easily transportable scopes.Without that criteria, it would be a very difficult choice indeed!

Sorry for going on a bit :), hope it is useful "going on a bit" though.

Ps: i have an observing bias towards Deep sky, don't let anyone tell you the skymax is no good for DSO, i'm very pleased thus far, just bear in mind its not the IDEAL dso telescope, & you'll only get about 1deg fov out of it.

Archived