Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Set up decided..... Thoughts and opions please

Hello all.

Well to anyone whe's read some of my previous posts you'll already know AP is the direction i'm set on going so i think i've finally nailed my decision.

Mount - NEQ6 pro

Scope- Evostar ed80 pro

Misc - power tank and various other bits and bobs i'll need.

camera - i'm planning on "borrowing" my dads sony A290 to start with... anyone know if it'll be up to the job?

still a few thing i'm not sure/decided about. will i need a guide scope and guide camera to start with? or will the goto function on the mount suffice to begin with.

cheers Mark

I would suggest unguided to start with. The learning curve for astro-photography is very steep! Iwould (as I am at the moment) keep things simple (!) to start with. Use subs of 1min or 2mins and get some images taken. You will need to get into the routine of darks and flats as well (there are many threads and tutorials on these on the forum). I would also suggest "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards (Steppenwolf) from FLO. This book guides you through the basics and will get you imaging in no time (clouds permitting!) - it also tells you what NOT to do - which is very useful and can save you quite a bit of cash in the process.

Thanks,

i've gathered from the info i've been getting that it's not hte easiest of routs to go down, but with the quality of some of the images people are getting its hard not to aspire to those kind of level's. i'm not expecting the be winning pow the first week, week number 2 maybe lol. but it would be nice to get out there and get a few images no matter how rough they arer lol.

Good choice. When the time comes grab an ST80 from FLO as a guide scope. Brilliant and a bargain. Steve's book, yes!

Note that go to has nothing to do with tracking or guiding, it just finds your object.

I'm afraid I don't know the camera at all but others will certainly chip in.

Olly

Go for it Mark, that's a good setup, I'd expect 1 to 2 minutes to be easily achievable. I don't know the Sony cameras, but when I was looking at getting an SLR, what I read implied the noise was higher than the canon's. Does that prevent you using it, not in the slightest :), it'll do the job I reckon.

i'm going for that set up. i've made my mind up now if i do anymore dithering i'll still be in this predicament in a years time. now its down to pricing it all up.

i've read very good reviews about FLO but if i'm honest i've managed to find a few other websites that i can get it cheaper. so its a question of to i take the hit and go with FLO and have to piece of mind that if anything's wrong with anything i'm going to get good after sales service or do i split the order up and buy all the parts of my kit of the cheapest vendor?.

hmmmmm..............

I think FLO might do a price match? Worth asking them, as the service is good.

You should easily get 2 minute subs unguided with an EQ6. I did a test exposure on mine at 211 seconds and had no star trails...and this was the first time I had ever done a polar alignment (probably owes more to luck than good management!)

th_a7f98a44.jpg

(click for bigger image)

that's a good point, i'll have a look on there website.

as i said i've seen posts on here about FLO and everyone have nothing but praise for them so it would be nice to have that piece of mind. but with the scope and mount and all the other bits and bobs it'll add up to a fair bit so i'm just trying to watch the pennies as best i can.

Archived