Canon 300d dslr camera with a Skywatcher Explorer 130P telescope

Coops2000

Hi All,

I bought a Skywatcher Explorer 130P telescope & I’m now trying to use it with my Canon 300d dslr camera. I have the T-ring & adaptor, etc, but I can’t focus the camera through the telescope.

Do you know if my type of camera will work with my scope, or is there any other type of camera that anyone would recommend to work with the Explorer 130P. Or…. Is it that the 130P doesn’t work (can’t focus) with a dslr.

Getting very frustrated with it, but I'm a newbie to both photograhpy & Astrology...... :-(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

A lot of reflector telescopes have this problem. Either add a barlow lens to push the point of focus further away from of primary mirror or the hard way is to move the primary mirror a little way up the tube.

PS please change the black text to something more readable and it is astronomy not astrology.

Peter

I have the 150p and find my camera is too far out to get focus. I unscrew the end of the focus tube (the bit that normally holds the eyepiece) and then put the T mount in there. It will depend which focuser assembly you have though.

If you look at the last post in this thread, there are some photos taken by another forum member which may help you.

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-discussion/60776-what-else-do-i-need.html

I am not sure about the 130P, but on the 10 inch version unscrewing the 1.25 inch eyepiece barrel reveals a thread to which you can attach the camera T adaptor.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

lol, didn't even notice it was dark.... !!!

I had the t-ring & the adaptor & stuff, but after speaking to FLO, it doesn't look like the 130P has enough back focus or something without heavily modifiying the focuser...... I've opted to sell the Canon & I've bought a modified philips 880 webcam (to work as a 900). Just waiting for the nosepeice to come from Waynes website now :-)

Also I don't want to mess around with the tube as I'll end up breaking it..

A lot of reflector telescopes have this problem. Either add a barlow lens to push the point of focus further away from of primary mirror or the hard way is to move the primary mirror a little way up the tube.

PS please change the black text to something more readable and it is astronomy not astrology.

Peter

lol, you knew what I meant........ ;-)

Archived