Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2nd scope and still need help - neq6 and celestron C9.25

Hi Folks,

I am considering spending far more many than I have on an NEQ6 pro mount with synscan with a Celestron C9.25 OTA perched on its back.

I would like to do some astrophotography of deep space objects and planets. I would also like to rush out when we get that yearly clear night and simply look at a planet or two.

So, quick alignment is important, not getting a hernia carrying it out of the conservatory is important, general usability is important I.e. Not needing a ladder to look down the EP.

Can anyone advise on drawbacks of this set up please. All comments welcome.

Terry.

I use that set up: NEQ6pro and a C9.25

The mounting is pretty heavy and is luggable over short distances. I usually leave it set up and covered by a patio chair cover.

The C9.25 is much lighter than say a 10" SCT and is easily lifted onto the mount.

They make a great stable combo. I'd recommend it.

As Riklaunim says, budget for a good autoguider for that kind of long focal length, maybe an off axis guider to keep the weight down. You will probably want to use the F6.3 reducer since F10 is not great for deep sky imaging. Besides, I think an EQ6 would struggle to track at 2.3 metres even with an autoguider, though I have never tried ours at those lengths.

Olly

I used HEQ5 to shoot with C8 at f/10 and f/6.4 and it did work (with the OAG)... and I'm planning the same w C11. I find a bright guide star and limit the guide cam exposure to 0,5 sec or lower and start guiding with slowest guide speed. This seems to correct the drift + PE on high focal lengths quite nicely.

I am considering getting a more heavy-weight mount for imaging, but do not want to do in my back either. I am considering waiting (quite ;)) a bit longer and going for the iOptron iEQ45. It is quite a bit more expensive than the NEQ6, but has the same load rating and is a good deal lighter.

Has anybody compared the two mounts?

The standard answer would be that for imaging the NEQ6-pro is more stable, for visual, the CG5-GT would be OK. I find my Vixen GP mount is fine for planetary work, less so for deep sky. The C9.25 is also sold on the CGEM mount as can be seen here

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/128433-its-finally-arrived.html

Olly,

re guiding the c925 at f10...

I use a modified Vixen flip mirror....it's now a 80/20 beamsplitter - so similar to guiding with an OAG.

I can successfully use PHD and Al's reticle to aquire the target star for spectroscopy and guide it on a 25 micron slit indefinately.

The NEQ when it's good is very good; when it has an off day it's horrid!

• 2 weeks later...
Let us know when it arrives!

Clear skies,

Michael

Hi Folks,

It arrived on time. Thanks FLO. I got confused when FLO said it was coming by ParcelPost and Fedex tried to deliver it but that is life. It arrived safe and sound. You can't ask for much more than that.

Now I am fighting with initial adjustments but it is getting easier now that I found astro-babe's written guide (Thanks Mel) and a video explanation on the web.

One thing I'd like to ask is whether all the wonderfully described polar-scope date/time/Graticule setting is actually necessary if you are always going to use your synscan goto's alignment?

Can anyone say?

Terry

Archived