NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cool Down - what is it exactly?

The same with refractors (more a problem with the larger scopes) A good tip is to leave the diagonal off the back and tilt the scope so that the focuser is higher than the front of the scope to help the 'warmer' air escape. The same with reflectors where warmer air supplied by a warm mirror then sits on its reflective surface creating a thin thermal layer to look through and hence the difficulty in focusing at the eyepiece when the scopes first brought outside. Cooling takes far longer in 'closed' systems like binos and cassegrain/maksutov type scopes.

James

I hear alot about dew shields - I guess these are more for scopes though, not sure how they work to be honest - I will just let my bins cool down

I think that one of the main advantages of using dew shields with binoculars is that they keep stray light off the lenses and can help improve contrast, especially if you live in a light polluted area.

I made a pair similar to these, although I lined the inside with felt instead of painting it, for my 20x80s.

Dew Shields for 20x80 Triplet Binoculars - IceInSpace

Archived