Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some questions about DSS and photoshop

Steve1976

Ok I have many questions here folks and as always any help is greatly appreciated -

1 - I have tried to upload RAW images onto DSS but the resulting images are only a small part of the original image. Is it best to convert to another file type like 16 bit TIFF? Will this degrade the images?

2 - When I transfer a stacked image onto Photoshop (C5 extended) sometimes I do not have the option to add an adjustment layer curve. Any ideas as to why? Is it because the RGB 'curves' have all been alligned on DSS when I use their little post processing tools.

3 - probably tied to number 2 this question. Another message I get when I upload a DSS stacked image onto Photoshop is - 'The doc TIFF does not have an embedded RGB profile' It then gives 2 options - to 'assign a working RGB from sRGB IEC...' or to 'assign profile using Prophoto RGB etc etc'. What does all this mean then?

4 - When I try to do some other adjustments in PS I get the message 'scratch disks are full' - I gather this is a memory problem but what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

I can't speak for DSS other than to say never, never use it for any kind of processing apart from calibration and stacking sub frames. Make sure that whatever DSS saves for you it is readable by Photoshop. For my money, a 16bit TIFF (from Maxim) has always proved to be adequate. Make sure it doesn't lumber you with some sort of pre-ordained stretch.

The inability to use adjustment layers may be tied into what layer you have active. I have hardly ever found it necessary to use adjustment layers.

If PS reads an odd colour profile it will always tell you. The default in most image manipuilation programs is sRGB, a spec derived for computer ues by Microsoft and Hewlett Packard. It is restricted somewhat in the green and other profiles such as Adobe RGB are better, especially if you go to print.

In the old days you had to attend to the default settings in PS. It used to be under File - Settings but I think it moved to the Edit menu. Look for the entry under Memory and set the slider for RAM to somewhere near 90%, the default used to be 50%. Exit the program and start again.

Dennis

I don't understand what is going on with No 1. I always load raw files from my Canon 40D into DSS and it deals with them with no problems.

With regard to No 2, DSS for me gives the final tiff file as 32 bit which my version of photoshop (CS2) cannot deal with, but is quickly converted to 16 bit by going to mode and choose 16 bit.

Dave

Archived