NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First attempt with imaging (on the cheap)

Kp6

Thought I would give it a shot and share the results whatever they may be.

My scope is a Celestron powerseeker 114eq and the camera is a prehistoric Fujifilm A210. I have a much better quality 12mp Samsung camera but I didn't fancy the chances of breaking it given the technique I used.

First I switched on the camera so the lens would extend outwards, then whipped out the batteries, This leaves the lens sticking out enabling me to attach the k20 eyepiece using masking tape (adheres better than anything else I had). If the camera is left switched on for 2 minutes and not used the lens will attempt to retract no doubt breaking the motor so don't try it unless you have a doner camera.

It was around 6.30 am this morning and the skies were as clear as they had been for a number of weeks so still in my jimjams I cracked open the south facing window and pointed at Saturn just as it was leaving my field of view.

post-21156-133877525359_thumb.jpg

Lacking in detail I would say but bear in mind this camera has no settings other than 'flash on flash off' and a 10 second timer, There doesnt seem to be any advanced features like ISO or aperture adjustments.

Just as the angle became impossible to catch Saturn I went to close the window and noticed the moon peeking up above the hill to the south and it looked gorgeous!!! So set up the camera again and got a couple of quick snaps before it became too light.

post-21156-133877525367_thumb.jpg

It was also the first time I have seen venus but the neighbours tree was too much in the way to get a piccy.

Overall I'm quite pleased with my first attempt although the image of saturn is too soft compared to what I see when I look through the eyepiece. No doubt during the course of this year I will attempt to improve the image quality as I think I've caught that bug!;)

Thankyou for the feedback. I'm hoping to improve on these images a little bit, the biggest problem I have is the microscopic size of the LCD on the camera, It lacks in detail to the extent that it's difficult to achieve sharp focus, I think it explains the fuzziness of the Saturn image.

Like you, I take my pictures the "cheap" method by actually holding my point-and-shoot camera to the eyepiece. I am hoping that with time, I will also be adding to my repertoire of tricks. Great shot of Saturn by the way!

Isabelle ;)

Hi Isabelle I initially tried that method but I found that it was impossible to image anything as I dont have steady hands, also go a bit too close I would cause the telescope to vibrate ruining the image. I even had this problem trying to image the moon.

nice. in the saturn image, is the little white dot a moon?

I'm not too sure, It is an old camera so it could be a damaged pixel or a speck of dirt, I'll find out when the next opportunity for imaging comes along.

Brilliant, I love it when people do things in a 'Heath Robinson' way, and I'm amazed at how well the pics look. So was the Saturn one taken just using a 20mm lens without any Barlow?

I really like the moon picture.

I used to think I was tech savvy only a few years ago but I was put well in my place when my youngest brother (10 yr old) 'showed' me how to reboot and install windows 7 on my desktop. I think Heath style simplicity is now the way forward for me!!!

I used a 3x barlow with the k20 on Saturn, The moon was barely above the horizon so I'm quite pleased with the image.

Archived