Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

With all the interest on saturn

neil phillips

With no more jupiters to be working on, and the intererst in saturn lately, i was looking in my archive and put some together from 2007 to 2010.Hope you guys find it interesting. The colour is suspect on most of them mainly my inexperiance, when doing most of them. notice how the shadow falling on the rings flips on the dates 18th feb 2008 dec 5th 2008,16th and 17th April 2010, the mono shot at the begining was a straight ( no filters ) Mono using a spc 900 nc, next to it is a colour shot with a toucam pro webcam, the rest are DFK shots, with the exception of 30 th march again a spc 900 nc mono. All shots are a 10" newt, the 30 th march was a 12" and 17th April also a 12" Newt. 2010 was a particulaly hard year i found, hence just a couple here. Hope to get another chance on saturn this year, but as of last year its not easy in the uk at present. Full size link at the bottom

5396448952_3ff4c2150d_o.png

FULL SIZE click the page

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5293/5396439218_2650f76506_o.png

A nice compendium over the years. Paul Haese does not like my bluer images as they all go for natural brown versions of Jupiter and Saturn, like your 2007 rgb, many have browner above rings and bluer below. The 5th Dec, 16/17th April at the bottom are very detailed edge on so low in alt but the bue kind of suits them without the rings especially the blue crown in the April images. I'll never get the colour right, I tend to concentrate on detail.

John.

I can never figure the colour either John i think i used the colour histogram on the 2008 shots, which should equally balance the colours, but i clearly remember them looking green heavy.indeed i dropped the green for this page on most of them. looked to me like they needed more blue, maybe less red. but when i tried the rings took on a unatural hue. so i took that to mean no,

more correct as is. But i think the whiter shots at the bottom look more neutral, and they clearly have more blue, but white rings with no tint, especially obviouse on the rings.

Using a single colour camera and colour histogram grapth, in theory make it pretty acurrate to get close to 3 balanced colours. the one thing that is actually diferent i havent mentioned, is the whiter bluer shots at the bottom are actually a DBK with Revelation IR UV block filter, the others are a DFK with built in IR Block. which i feel for some reason produced too much green. (the DFK) Maybe the browner versions are being favoured because often colour histograms show it to be that way ? but the DBK in 2010 for some reason did not ? all pretty confusing. Regardless using registax colour balance might be worth checking on your own images, do you do that John ? or just go with it visually ? i often do a little of both

BTW your images should be POTW they have my vote

Thanks Neil, I have had magenta rings but good disc colour so I sometimes use layers in PS to put in better coloured rings around disc. Night to night rgb can vary even though histogram does not? I use Maxim for colour/white balance/col realign but will have a look at Regx col balance to see how good it is compared with Maxim.

John.

Archived