Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Need help pointing to some HEQ5 disassembly pics/instructions

hozepipe

Hi guys

I've googled but haven't managed to come up with a good photo journal type disassembly of the HEQ5 mount - I found one of the HEQ6 but as I've found in these things before, if you try to fudge it/mix n match you come unstuck. Are there any sites anyone knows that outline the process of stripping and rebuilding an HEQ5?

Reason is that the Dec axis is stiff and has a little rock in it and I need to eliminate as much of the delay when using the motors as possible (for visual use, I find it annoyning to wait 1-2 sec for the slac to take up). The black gunk that is used as lubricant (!) definitely needs to be cleaned off and replaced. I guess that is used to cover up for synta's poor tollerances and adjusntment (why waste times adjusting the thing when you can just fill the gaps with tar and ship it). I'm hoping time spent adjusting and lubing it will work wonders.

Oh yeah, also want to fix the crappy setting circles!

Help appreciated.

Archived