Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first trip to the Norman Lockyer Observatory

AlexB

Hi all,

I've just arrived home after popping along the weekly meet at the Normal Lockyer Observatory in Sidmouth. I had a great time seeing the observatory and meeting with both new and learned astronomers.

When I left Paignton, it was thick with cloud so I didn't bother taking any equipment... but by the time I got there the conditions were superb (apart from the fairly zestful wind!) I wished I'd taken at least a tripod! I hadn't seen the sky as clear since I was living on Dartmoor!

I want to thank Martin from FLO for showing me around the Observatory and helping me get my bearings! I'll definately be paying more visits to the Observatory in the future ... (missus permitting!)

Here are a couple of quick snaps I took while I was there (please forgive the high ISO quality!)...

The main foyer:

alexb-albums-normal-lockyer-observatory-meet-2011-01-28-picture8697-collection-astronomical-memorabilia.jpg

Waiting for the presentations:

alexb-albums-normal-lockyer-observatory-meet-2011-01-28-picture8699-waiting-presentations-start.jpg

Talk on Venus:

alexb-albums-normal-lockyer-observatory-meet-2011-01-28-picture8700-talk-venus.jpg

More talks:

alexb-albums-normal-lockyer-observatory-meet-2011-01-28-picture8701-more-talks.jpg

Live imaging feeds from member rigs:

alexb-albums-normal-lockyer-observatory-meet-2011-01-28-picture8702-live-feeds-several-imaging-rigs-outside.jpg

Historic Equipment:

alexb-albums-normal-lockyer-observatory-meet-2011-01-28-picture8703-historic-equipment.jpg

The Planetarium:

alexb-albums-normal-lockyer-observatory-meet-2011-01-28-picture8704-planetarium.jpg

The Lockyer Refractor:

alexb-albums-normal-lockyer-observatory-meet-2011-01-28-picture8705-lockyer-telescope.jpg

A (poor) handheld image of the usual suspect! (ISO3200 40mm 10s exposure):

alexb-albums-normal-lockyer-observatory-meet-2011-01-28-picture8706-orion-handheld-shot.jpg

Brilliant evening.

• 2 weeks later...

I joined NLO at the SW Astronomy Fair three years ago, but have never got round to going to any of the monthly meetings or observers' nights. The website looks a bit more informative now, however, so maybe I ought to get a bit more organised - its only 45 min in the car.

Allan

I have visited 3 or 4 times over the years when holidaying in that part of the world. Thoroughly enjoyed each visit, great set up and some historic instruments there. I recommend visiting to anyone who finds themselves in or near Sidmouth.

Archived