Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Disassembling Heritage 130 Dob. mount?

Kreggurree

Is it possible to disassemble the dobsonian mount in anyway?

Particularly can the vertical pieces be detached from the horizontal?

Yup it can.

If you remove the rotating base then the vertical part is attached with three phillips (I think thats what they're called in english) screws. They haven't used any glue in the construction - at least not in my version :)

EDIT - It most likely wasn't meant to be taken apart like this but it is possible.

Its not something I would do regularly, but upon discovery that my EQ2 is far too much hassle to get from the UK to Prague (where I currently live) I am looking at alternative (and cheap) options as I try to get into Astronomy again.

So if I was to get this it would be taken apart for one journey, and normally if I was to take it else where, such as Texas in June, the base would fit assembled in my larger case or 85l backpack (with lots of padded support of course)

I am also considering for a similar price SkyMax 90mm tabletop, or buying revelation 15x70's and a decent £50-75 Tripod.

EDIT - Phillips is correct, not that I have any idea why, I assume the inventors name is related, but cross head is perfectly acceptable in my eyes

I think we talk about separating the vertical part with the vixen-bar holder from the two round rotating base plates to make the dob mount more compact for transport.

Yes removing the tube is no problem.

Do you already have a scope? Is buying a mount from mainland europe an option? If you have a small/short scope then the az3 is currently sold very cheaply from TS in germany.

Thanks for the responses, hopefully bouncing my ideas out here will help me decide.

I do already have a ST102mm (the scope is not a high performer so there is no loss in getting an entirely new budget scope), It could be an option though I would still like a mount that makes my scope portable, and I believe that this Dob uses a dovetail the same as the ST102 so I can always use that on the dob. Though awkward and low.

I am talking about the base on its own being disassembled.

Yup it can.

If you remove the rotating base then the vertical part is attached with three phillips (I think thats what they're called in english) screws. They haven't used any glue in the construction - at least not in my version :)

EDIT - It most likely wasn't meant to be taken apart like this but it is possible.

Ah i see the screws now. So i stand corrected. The whole mount can be taken apart. It would easily go into any normal sized suitcase for transport. The base has a footprint of i'm guessing 16".

Ah i see the screws now. So i stand corrected. The whole mount can be taken apart. It would easily go into any normal sized suitcase for transport. The base has a footprint of i'm guessing 16".

No no don't do that!

In the beginning i wondered about using the dob 'foot' for another scope but I think the limited height if the vertical part will limit the possible lenght of a scope when you want to observe anything in or close to zenith - but again this is with no practical experience whatsoever!

But perhaps it is possible with a small maksutov?

I am personally not that bothered whether I can use other scopes on it, that is just a bonus if it works. I just want to make sure that somehow I can transport the base/mount/Dob, the OTA definitely fits in my hand luggage it is just a question of the base.

Does anyone have an accurate measurement of the dimensions of the base WITHOUT the OTA?

I am personally not that bothered whether I can use other scopes on it, that is just a bonus if it works. I just want to make sure that somehow I can transport the base/mount/Dob, the OTA definitely fits in my hand luggage it is just a question of the base.

Does anyone have an accurate measurement of the dimensions of the base WITHOUT the OTA?

Height of vertical part is approx. 35 cm - total height of mount is approx. 42 cm.

Base is made of a round board monted on top of a triangular board. The round has a diameter of 32 cm. The three points of the triangular board protudes an additional 3 cm.

Hope this is not complete gibberish.

Archived