NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

skyliner auto upgrade to goto?

Hi there all

Forgive me if this is already answered elsewhere but...

I`m thinking of getting a "Skyliner 250PX Flex Tube Auto Tracking Dobsonian" and think i`ve read that it can be upgraded to goto by replacing the hand set, can anyone confirm this?

I understand skywatcher dont authorise the change but sounds like it works, wondering if this is a cheap(ish) up grade for the future?

Many thanks

I upgraded my 300P to goto and it works fine. Before they released models with upgraded motors and goto, SW didn't authorise the upgrade on earlier models with inferior motors (still don't as far as I know). But I've had no problems :)

Thats good news, i`m planning on buying a scope that i can add to as more funds become available.

Can you tell me, do you have to buy spares from OVL to get the hand unit?

(i`m assuming the EQ hand unit is different to the one for a dob base and i havent seen the dob hand unit as a spare in google searches)

• 3 months later...

Trident,

Just wondering if your upgrade worked out. If the drive mechanism on the latest SW Skyliner Auto dobs is the same as on the Goto dobs then I'm thinking about purchasing one of these...

SkyWatcher Mercury 707 SynScan AZ GOTO 70mm Refractor Telescope

...and just swapping the handsets.

Getting the SynScan Goto version of my 250PX Auto would have cost an additional 250 quid. This way I only have to shell out 200 quid AND I get a free scope thrown into the mix that I can either keep or sell on the second hand market.

Seems like a no-brainer to me if the Auto mount drive mechanism is up to it and the handsets can just be swapped (i.e. same cables and interfaces etc).

The skymax is a great little scope but the extra aperture of the skyliner makes such a difference. Obviously atmospheric conditions limit magnification levels but especially with the moon very long focal lengths can be used on the skyliner. I do a lot of webcam imaging and have seen a big improvement since using the Dob.

• 2 months later...

Been looking at this and if I have got this right, a SW 250 flexi dob auto from Flo is £659. The Synscan unit costs £145... total £804

A SW 250 flexi dob goto costs £945. £144 more for what seems to be the same scope, or have i got it wrong?

The handset required to upgrade the flextubes to goto is the "AZ Replacement Handset" - most places have to order it and it's around £200 (when I got mine).

But you can buy an AZ Synscan mount for a similar price - switch the handsets and sell off the new mount as an AZ Tracking mount. This is the one I did it with:

SkyWatcher SynScan Goto AZ Mount & Tripod

Both handsets work in both mounts. :)

Archived