Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Afocal DSLR Astrophotography

AlexB

Hello all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any significant experience in using a DSLR camera afocally.

I am looking to get a set of Baader Hyperion eyepieces and, if I haven't misread the information, it seems that it is possible to mount the camera directly to the eyepiece.

Is this correct?

Can they take much weight or will I need some sort of extra aparatus?

Does anyone have any examples of images taken with a DSLR via the afocal method?

Thanks in advance!

I think there is a way to screw the end of a lens on to an eyepiece perhaps ? I haven't seen it myself though.

Could they be talking about eyepiece projection ? It uses an eyepiece but no lens on the camera. I have used this method, there are some examples linked from my sig.

I think there is a way to screw the end of a lens on to an eyepiece perhaps ? I haven't seen it myself though.

Could they be talking about eyepiece projection ? It uses an eyepiece but no lens on the camera. I have used this method, there are some examples linked from my sig.

I'm pretty sure they are talking about directly screwing the T-Ring on to the Eyepiece. My concern would be the weight of the camera hanging off a pricey eyepiece.

Picture quality is also an issue possibly.

I'm pretty sure they are talking about directly screwing the T-Ring on to the Eyepiece. My concern would be the weight of the camera hanging off a pricey eyepiece.

Picture quality is also an issue possibly.

The Hyperion eyepieces have a M43 thread around the top. A M43 to T thread adaptor then allows the eyepiece to be connected to a DSLR body via a T-ring for eyepiece projection photography.

Peter

The Hyperion eyepieces have a M43 thread around the top. A M43 to T thread adaptor then allows the eyepiece to be connected to a DSLR body via a T-ring for eyepiece projection photography.

Peter

Thanks for the info. :)

I tried it once when I couldn't get prime focus, but found the coma to be really bad. That was with a cheap eyepiece though, no hyperion.

Hmm, ok... thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Archived