NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What bins next ?

romanmick

Hi all :)

I use a pair of Zeiss 10x50 which are great for doing the" knowledge" I dont feel ready to get a relecter just yet so I am looking to get some more powerful bins, The revelation 15x70 appears good value for the money, but will need a tripod, should I go for some 20x100 as some of you here have wished you had ?

Thats my dilemma ( the cost is not as important as value for money longer term) Any help please

If money is no object, you could go for 25x100 bins with a very good tripod.

However, I think that the Revelation 15x70 are fantastic value, and with a good tripod will serve you well for years, even after you buy a telescope.

Difficult decision, as per usual...

The easy one, yes, you'll need a tripod. nuff said.

I've 10x50, Nikon Action AE very good quality,not cheap, Helios Quantum 4 15x70, good, no doubting it, about the same price as the Nikons and surprising the extra light you get.

Would I get something bigger given the opportunity, yes, I would. So, I'd go with John P, if money is no object, 25x100 and a sturdy tripod.

Cheers

Neil

hi romanmick

20x80 is another popular next step up.

with binoculars there's a much larger performance emphasis on magnification

(a common formula is mag x sq. root of aperture).

this would save on weight and cost vs 100mms.

an image-stabilized model (15x50 or 18x50) is another option.

while pricey, this would save on the cost of a solid tripod while maintaining the

grab-and-go handheld freedom of binos.

the big jump, as mentioned, is to mounted 25x100ish guns.

lol. so much for narrowing your choices, eh?

cheers

saber does the stars at

www.astronomyblogs.com/member/saberscorpx

nice dilemma, I have only just bought some 20x90's and a decent mount to match. They are a big step up from my 10x50's and am looking forward to testing them out in the weeks ahead. :(

Only had the one night and was really impressed with the views through them :)

Hi davo, I would reckon the views would be outstanding using either, weight would be a major factor here whichever you choose, you would get a bigger fov with the 20x110's but the 28x110's have a smaller exit pupil. I personnally would think the 20x110's would be the better bet. Just the idea of having the larger fov which will help with the many open clusters out there. :) I may be wrong and hopefully you will have comformation of this option, still getting used to my own big bins but they are very good indeed. :(

Archived