Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skymax 127 - high power EP.

So I'm thinking of getting a decent high-power EP for my Skymax 127 scope. I've only used the supplied 10mm one twice as the view from it is very poor and the exit pupil lens size is very small for me to use comfortably (spectacles wearer).

8mm appears to be the pushing limit of this scope so I could get a decent barlow for my SW ExtraFlat 16mm and work with that.

I'm trying to limit to the following EPs so if anyone has used them please let me know or recommend an alternative.

Williams Optics SPL 12.5mm (or 6mm)

Celestron X-Cel series 10mm (or 8mm)

8mm should be spot on for the 127. I'm not a fan of the Celestron X-Cel, wasn't at all impressed with my 8mm. And it wouldn't have been cheap new either, fortunately i paid only £20 but would have been gutted.

A TV Plossl 8mm for £65 is much much better bet imho. It lacks the X-Cel's generous eye relief and slightly wider field but superior in all other areas.

If you can afford it, then the Pentax XF 8.5mm would give you all the comfy bits from the X-Cel and all the high quality views from the TV Plossl, all rolled into one beautiful eyepiece. It's every bit as good (and some say better) than the TV Radian but for £50 less.

I bought a 6mm Baader, after abit of getting used to it I have found it to be very good, the 1st view I had of the moon with it was brilliant.

I couldn't descide between the 8mm & the 6mm but went for the 6mm for abit more magnification. I have been very pleased with it overall.

I bought a 6mm Baader, after abit of getting used to it I have found it to be very good, the 1st view I had of the moon with it was brilliant.

I couldn't descide between the 8mm & the 6mm but went for the 6mm for abit more magnification. I have been very pleased with it overall.

Was that the Hyperion or the Orthoscopic ?.

I'll have to find some images of the Baader Orthoscopic 6mm before deciding. Although the long eye relief on the Williams Optics SPL and Pentax XF are tempting.

Had a look at images of the Baader Ortho 6mm... the eye-lens looks very small for me.

Pentax is excluded due to cost.

So looks like its a decision between the Williams Optics SPL 6mm or TS Planetary HR 6mm (or 7mm or maybe a 9mm).

The high power Ortho is not to everyones taste. The lens is indeed small and the eye relief incredibly tight. I don't mind them down to 6mm but prefer to grab one of the widefield eyepieces.

The SPL is very nice indeed, really sharp and will be cracking in the 127. As will the HR Planetary.

The William Optics SPL range are pretty good and comfortable to use, I used to have them all.

I guess what I recommend would depend on your objectives, are you most interested in eye relief, comfort, quality of build, optical quality, initial cost, resale value?

If you could tell us your priorities it might help to narrow the field. There are excellent choices at the top end of the market, TV and Pentax but also good choices in the midfield with WO and even maybe something like a TMB.

The William Optics SPL range are pretty good and comfortable to use, I used to have them all.

I guess what I recommend would depend on your objectives, are you most interested in eye relief, comfort, quality of build, optical quality, initial cost, resale value?

If you could tell us your priorities it might help to narrow the field. There are excellent choices at the top end of the market, TV and Pentax but also good choices in the midfield with WO and even maybe something like a TMB.

Definately not looking at the top-end.

My main priority would be eye relief and comfort.

Been looking at the TMB clones (TS Planetary HR) and those look to be in the price-range of my liking. However can stretch to the WO SPL range.

Archived