Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to use a web cam for astro photography?

Hi there folks, can anyone tell me if there is an idiots guide on how to do a bit of astro photography with a Philips spc900 webcam. I really have no idea where to even begin. As always any help will be greatly appreciated.

re webcams:

I have a Meade LPI which I bought some while ago. If used with an ETX60 would it be able to resolve any bands on Jupiter or show the rings of Saturn? What would be the diameter of the smallest lunar crater that would be able to be imaged? Would like to try it and see but seem to be clouded out every time I set up. Any help would be gratefully received.

The ETX60 has a short focal length (350mm) so is probably a bit too short for planetary photography. The moon would probably just fit onto the LPI's sensor at 350mm. This Field of View calculator will give you an impression of what the planets and moon will look like on the LPI. The ETX60 is not listed but has the same focal length as the ETX70.

Peter

Archived