Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Beginners book

It looks from Amazon that they've re-issued it under another name:

The Practical Astronomer (Dk Astronomy): Amazon.co.uk: Anton Vamplew, Will Gater: Books

which makes me wonder why, if it were that great in the first place.

Of the books I have (some bought for me and some I bought myself), Turn Left at Orion is still the one I look at most.

James

Hi,

I'm a fellow newbie and I asked a similar question to this a week or so ago. Lot's of people recommended Turn Left at Orion.

Also recommended were Nightwatch and The Backyard Astronomers Guide, both by Terence Dickinson.

As well as that, there were a couple of recomendations for books that contain useful info for beginners, but also info that you'll refer to for years to come. These were Norton's Star Atlas and the Illustrated guide to Astronomical Wonders: From novice to master observer.

I looked into all of these on site's such as Amazon, WH Smith etc and found that they all had favourable reviews. I haven't bought any of these books yet but have tipped the missus a wink to get at least on of em' for my B'day coming up next month.

I don't know if you have any kit yet, but I've just bough a pair of bins and went out and bought the Philips Stargazing with binoculars book from Smiths for £8, which I have found fairly informative so far. there is also a download on this site which lists 110 objects to view through your bins, which was very good for a freebie.

For £5 your DK looks like a pretty good deal. There's bound to be some useful info in there and for a fiver you can't go too far wrong with that really I would say.

All the best,

Tony.

Cheers Tony.

I got the phillips practical astronomy book with my scope. It is a OK book but I find it very general. The books you list above look to have a bit more body and substantial information.

Going to go for the turn left at orion I think.

I have Nightwatch too and it's also an excellent book. Nightwatch is a more general book that comes with charts whereas Turn Left is more a book of charts that comes with some general info. The two compliment each other nicely.

What I like about Turn Left is it not only tells you where to look but it also shows you what you should see through your finder and your eyepiece. It's much closer to having an experienced hand right there with you.

Archived