Help Please! What eyepieces should I buy?

Guys, I hope you can help - I will be brief and to the point. I have a Celestron Nexstar 6SE 6" with a focal Length of 1500mm. It came with a 25mm plossle eyepiece.

I want to view the moon and the planets as a preference to start with and then move on to more ambitious stuff.

What eyepieces would you suggest that will give crisp clear and really good definition for the moon and the planets?

Thanks CGolder - again this might sound dumb but is TMB a make? would that enable me to see the rings of Saturn and the moons of Jupiter etc? I was considering buying the eyepiece set from Celestron but have read a few posts from people advising against. Do you have any take on this?

I find the TMB clone's superb in my f5 scope, so far the 8mm has given me the best views of Jupiter that I have seen. You have plenty of other options though and a lot of it comes down to the eye relief and the field of view that you will get.

Hello,

Yeah the originals are the TMB Planetary but the clones are the same but generally sell for cheaper but don't have the same look.

they have great options at the shorter focal length's the BST explorer's sold from Sky's the Limit are also very good, if i were looking for a winder range or set then i would go for the BST's if i were just wanting the planetary ranges then you have more options with the TMB's

Have owned the BST and TMB Clones and they for me are the probably the best value eyepieces on the market

Hi freddy,

Great choice of scope, I have the same one and LOVE it!

You should be able to see Jupiters moons with the supplied ep, at least i can?!?

I recently asked the same question as you though and finally decided on a televue, they're great quality and reasonably priced.

Either a 20mm or 15mm would be a nice addition and if you add to that a Tal 2x barlow available from the site sponsor FLO: Tal

you effectively quadroupled your collection for around £100

Hope this helps

Steve

I just ordered a Tal barlow I just ordered the x2 for my 10" Skyliner Dob...

Read loads of posts and couldnt see anything better for the money...

Have been advised lots of times to get the x2 with a barlow rather than a x3 though... Even though the x3 is the same price, it is a good buy cos it gives you a lot more choice....

I am just a newb repeating what I have been told though but when lots of people say the same you tend to take notice...

Guys, many thanks for all your help and advice. I clicked on the link that CGoulder provided - (sky's the limit) and gave them a call. A very nice man called Alan was most helpful and took time to explain the various eyepieces and what they did and then suggested that I order the 18mm the 12mm and the 2x barlow. The make is ED and I got all 3 for £121. I must add that Alan did not try to sell me more than I wanted and was very professional and genuinely helpful to a complete newbie! Thanks again to Alan and to CGoulder for the contact details. I can't wait to get them and start seeing the wonders of ther universe!

Archived