NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Setups for outdoor, middle of no-where, webcam imaging...

Richard C

I was thinking about starting to use a webcam with the scope and I was wondering what kind of setups everyone has?

From the forum threads I can see a huge chunk of people are using Philips webcams - does anyone use HD webcam's for decent imagery?

Are there any issues using a netbook outdoors for an hour or two (I'm worried about condensation)?

What software does anyone recommend?

A lot of questions I know, but I'm hoping the forum can give yet more useful advice for a novice :D

1 - Lots of people use high definition webcam-like industrial cameras such as the DMK or Lumenera cameras.

2 - There is a wide choice of software for running a Phillips webcam. IMHO K3CCDTools v3 is still the best, but Sharpcap is pretty close and gaining fast.

3 - A netbook should be fine outside unless there's a lot of dew. I always put my laptop inside a plastic 'curver' box turned on its side and the keyboard part inside a stout clear plastic bag.

I hope this helps

Getting enough power at a remote site is an issue.

Computers can eat up lot's of power when re-charging the batteries...

I use a collection of 20Ah gel cell batteries one for the mount, one for the computer (use the Maplin step up 12V to 18V or simailar setting) and one for the cameras and extras...

Depending on the notebook it may be possible to get a higher capacity battery than standard which helps with the power issues. I bought a six cell battery for my Aspire One (nine cell ones are also available, AFAIR) and running Linux it lasts a good five hours in average use.

When I've used it at night though I've found the biggest problem is the brightness of the screen even when I've turned it down to minimum. I'm pondering on using some red cellophane to make a filter for the screen to see if that helps. The other problem I have is that whilst I can touch type on a normal size keyboard and therefore have no problems using one in the dark, the notebook keyboards are much smaller and as my hands are far from "delicate" I end up having to hunt for keys in the dark. The best solution I've seen so far to help with that is a USB-connected "gooseneck" light with a red bulb in.

James

There's nothing in the HD "standard" that says the pictures are going to be any good. You can always up the frame rate by introducing compression and up the resolution by introducing noise, both of which degrade an image that may be nominally "HD".

Are there any issues using a netbook outdoors for an hour or two (I'm worried about condensation)?

I usually put a cardboard box over my netbook then go inside and control the whole webcaming session remotely from my main laptop.

Cheers,

Chris

A netbook should be fine outside unless there's a lot of dew.

Provided it's turned on, even a netbook uses enough energy to keep itself dry, unless it's actually raining or snowing. I've never bothered to protect mine (unless... in which case I just throw a tarp over it in the event of a light passing shower) & it still works. Solar work is a different issue, you need a box or something to put the netbook in to shield the screen enough to make it usable.

Archived