Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

QHY5 - No power when connected to computer

I have got a QHY5 in order to start on guiding and I have just plugged it into the computer. Initially there was a red power light on the camera. I have now installed the drivers, when I plug it in via direct USB connection it recognises that the QHY5 is there, but it no longer powers up. I have changed the cable, and the USB ports but to no avail. Have just uploaded PHD, would that affect it?

Stumbling at the first hurdle - A bad omen I think!!

Open PHD and select Qguider....

If it's working OK you should see the screen react to light....

My PHD screen is staying black.

I have selected Qguider and in the bottom left of the PHD screen it says that Q guider is connected - Nothing on the screen though. I have taken the cap off the camera!! The camera is powered and showing the QHY5 driver in the device manager under LibUSB-win32 devices.

Just as an aside - What do I select under the mounts menu? I am using an HEQ5 Pro (assuming that is what it means?)...........

So - Here we go ................. All help gratefully received!!

Ahh, perfect!! Looks like it's OK - So ........................ When I go outside, I put the camera into the scope, connect the camera to the PC, and then the PC to the ST4 port in the mount?

First I get the polar alignment, then do an alignment. I'm figuring that I can still use the handset to do all of this even though the PC is connected? Once aligned, I pick my goto subject with the handset, whizz to where I want to go, then the fun really starts!! How am I doing so far? ...................

Sara,

You're getting close...

Connect the camera to the PC with the USB cable, start up PHD select the camera and now you have a choice.....

IMHO it's easier to connect directly from the ST-4 port on the camera to the ST-4 port on the mount and use the "on camera" seeting to select the mount for guiding. This requires an ST4-ST4 cable which hopefully you got with the camera.

The other method involves using a separate cable (serial) between the PC and the handcontroller.....

Yes when you're not actually guiding you can use the handcontroller to GOTO your target and when ready start PHD to start the guiding process. Hope this helps.

Archived