Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ED 80 dewcap

I have a SW Evostar 120ED pro with black diamond tube with white painted lens cell/cap assembly. If you look down the tube with front of the objective nearest you, the cap unscrews if you turn it anticlockwise. You may well find that the rear section of the assemby will also unsrew from the tube (in the same direction). The cap thread was dry on my scope and initially hard to unscrew. The rear section of the cell was greased during manufacture and unscrewed much more easily. If your scope is constructed like mine you will have good access to both front and rear of objective for cleaning (carefully:)).

Hope this helps,

Martin

I have a SW Evostar 120ED pro with black diamond tube with white painted lens cell/cap assembly. If you look down the tube with front of the objective nearest you, the cap unscrews if you turn it anticlockwise. You may well find that the rear section of the assemby will also unsrew from the tube (in the same direction). The cap thread was dry on my scope and initially hard to unscrew. The rear section of the cell was greased during manufacture and unscrewed much more easily. If your scope is constructed like mine you will have good access to both front and rear of objective for cleaning (carefully:)).

Hope this helps,

Martin

Well looks like you've two choices, either its a push fit like mine or they've changed the design to a screw fit like Martin's 120ed.

It definitely comes off though!

My st120's dew cap is also a push fit- but a very, very tight one!

Just go carefully so there's no posibility of scratching the optics if it comes off with a sudden jerk.

NB. if its only a few weeks old i doubt it needs cleaning yet!, an objective needs to be pretty dirty for it to affect the views.

Conventional wisdom is to clean infrequently & carefully.

Mine's only been done twice in six years!

Hope this helps,

Martin

Well there you go then, I've never tried hard enough to remove it, had a go once, wouldnt budge, left it alone :D

Probably need a couple of strap wrenches on it if needs be.

You need to get yourself a pair of those rubber coated cotton kitchen gloves, with just the fingers and palm covered, they are invaluable for stuck filters, tight lens hoods etc etc, you can also use them in the kitchen would you believe :D, next time you want to remove one of those almost unmovable milk bottle caps, or that lid on the pickle jar. Thats the way I found out my lens hood unscrews on my 100 ED.

John.

Archived