Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Sky-Watcher Explorer 200P!

NickMilner

The scope is back to front on its rings. You can tell because on top of one of the rings there is a big black washer on a bolt which can be used to mount a camera and you want that ring to be the front one.

Interesting. I have the Celestron version of that scope which is identical to the Skywatcher (only the OTA, not the mount). Mine came with the rings already attached to the scope and that bolt was on the back ring as well.

Besides, it would be far easier to just unscrew that bolt and screw it back into the other ring. They both have a thread. No need to turn around the scope.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, but they're not quite the same shape as the things they're supposed to connect on to. Ah well, not the end of the world.

I took it that they were just interference fit... so line them up and give them a gradually tap onto the pin further and further. Mine seem fine.

I've made the same blunder with the rings then! I'll have to correct that one then lol.

How much does the 200P weigh? Doesn't look as big as I thought it would unless of course your front door is huge!

I think the whole thing is 26KG, but the OTA itself isn't very heavy at all.

If the scope was turned so that it is correctly positioned within the rings it would be pointing at the floor. Not good for observing.

Ah, but currently it's pointing at my hall ceiling. It's a lose/lose situation. :)

Does it really make a difference which way around the rings are? Apart from that one bolt they seem to be symmetrical. And that bolt can be moved to the other ring easily...

It would make a difference to anyone intending to mount their camera with a normal lens on it. The risk is that when trying to achieve a wide field of view, you will end up including the scope in the image.

At least that's how I understand it. :)

yes, I understand that. BUT: at least on my scope both rings have a thread on top that will take that bolt for the camera. Why not just move that bolt to the other ring? Seems faaar easier than changing the rings around and the scope... Unless I'm missing something...

yes, I understand that. BUT: at least on my scope both rings have a thread on top that will take that bolt for the camera. Why not just move that bolt to the other ring? Seems faaar easier than changing the rings around and the scope... Unless I'm missing something...

Much of a muchness. Probably take the same time as trying to get that fiddly screw out of the ring and into the other without damaging it! lol.

• 1 year later...

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I have the same scope. Had it 2 years. Have not used it. No instructions sheet and never had a scope before, was confusing. However, OH has managed to set it up on its tripod ONCE during the daytime in the garden. It has never been looked through for its intended purposes. It si too heavy for me and I just do not understand what to do. I find binoculars far easier - look up. Look through. Move a bit. Job done.

However, watching stargazinglive this week has renewed that yearning. So. Its come out. Dusted down (mirror at the eye piece hole, at an angle, inside, that mirror) and a few spiders had made a home in the bottom mirror (dangled a cloth down the tube and cleared them). Hopefulyl I haven't done any damage? (I wonder about that mirror - whether I have removed a coating?) Anyway, some time over the next few days, I will be trying to set it up. Have watched a few youtube videos on THIS model scope. So I am starting to understand the EQ5 mount a bit better. Can anyone point me in the right direction for how to set it up? Any recomended web resources out there I may have skipped?

Thanks, Sarah

Archived