M42-ED80

dejavu

Single Image of m42 taken through my ed80, 61 sec exposure, ISO 1600, Date/Time 18/12/2006 23:23:45, Canon eos 400d.. I managed to sort out the alignment prob I had the last time I took thescope/mount out, It turned out I was inputting the date the wrong way when I should have being doing it in the US format e.g month/day/year not day/month/year :nono:

orion_8469.jpg

Looking good. Star shape good. focus spot on. What sort of processing did you do on it e.g histogram stretching? One thing puzzles me though, you will have put a lot of time and effort into aligning the mount, framing and focussing the target so why just one frame?

Looking good. Star shape good. focus spot on. What sort of processing did you do on it e.g histogram stretching? One thing puzzles me though, you will have put a lot of time and effort into aligning the mount, framing and focussing the target so why just one frame?

Hi Martin, To be honest I dont have a clue how to stack images properly, I have tried astrostack but it crashed when I loaded Tiffs and I dont think it would take my canon RAW files either. I have the demo version of registax just now but looks a bit more complicated than astrostack so I have not bothered with it yet.

I processed this image (RAW) in canon digital photoprofessional , adjusted curves and changed the auto white balance to white fluorescent light then converted to tiff and transfered to photoshop then adjusted levels..

Also, I dont know if it was my polar alignment that was off last night or the tripod was not level (forgot my spirit level) but my images were a hit and a miss, some images would get star trails or egg shaped after 10 seconds then others like this one would be fine for over a minute.

Also, I dont know if it was my polar alignment that was off last night or the tripod was not level (forgot my spirit level) but my images were a hit and a miss, some images would get star trails or egg shaped after 10 seconds then others like this one would be fine for over a minute.

Well the tracking on this is literally spot on! it's just brilliant

nice round stars as well .

As such, Rog, you're right. All of them are absolutely pin-point - hang on! All of them? Not quite, that star in the very top centre is a small line. What's going on there? Is the tracking selective? Is it a double star?

Andrew

:) Hi Martin, just had a look at my digital negatives and found 3 out of 6 files for that session (M42-ED80) that you can play around with, strange, the other 3 files that are not usable ( star trails, pear shape) are the ones taken with the shortest exposure.

1st one is 20sec exposure ISO 800 , 2nd is 47sec exposure ISO800 and the 3rd of course is 61sec, ISO 1600.

they are all around 9mb in size if you want me to send them to you, btw do you have a RAW file viewer/editor for the 400d?

Fab image for a single shot. Possibly the short exposures show wobble from the mirror slap? It could be that it's effect is less noticeable with the longer exposure?

Captain Chaos

Thanks CC . Yes could be, I'll have to remember to use the mirror lockup feature on the 400d next time I'm out.

Not something I've done before but think ImagesPlus handles these files.

Okie dokie I'll e-mail you them later (not on my own computer just now).

Archived