NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Great Orion Nebula.

Well, When I went to astronomy club in kenley 2 weeks ago ( CroydonAstro ). The kind man Paul Harper got a green laser pen and was pointing in Space, He told us that The Great Orion Nebula is there pointing in middle of 3 stars below the Orion belt and I had a look at it thru the Astronomy telescope. My wife and I was like wow... but the eyepiece was 32mm. Just back in from my backyard I was outside looking at Space and spotted Orion belt so I took my telescope outside and pointed at it with the Telrad finder after adjusting it on The Moon.

I used my TeleVue Ethos 13mm Eyepiece and I had a look at Nebula i was like Whoa... You can see the band of clouds around the 3 stars also further along you could see 4 stars. So If I'm correct there is 7 stars at Orion Nebula? When I used Barlow the Orion Nebula is blurry. Is that normal?

Why does my plastic glass thingy gets fog on it and I couldn't point at anything cos it was covered in fog. Do I need to wait till it's warmer?

Also another question, On top of my Eyepiece Ethos 13mm, You see the green bit. I am able to turn it around back and forth, But not sure what it's supposed to do. Anyone please tell me? Thanks

I'm in awe finding Great Orion of Nebula myself and looking at it. WoW.

M42 (the Orion Nebula) is a fantastic object but not at it's best by any means tonight because of the light in the sky from the 98% illuminated moon.

There are lots of stars embedded in the nebula. There are 4 close together that form a sort of squashed rhombus - these are known as the Trapezium. With a well collimated and cooled 8" scope and around 80x - 120x you should be able to make out the E & F stars as well though these are much fainter. Here is a star map of the Trapezium to help find them:

http://www.starrynighteducation.com/sntimes/2009/jan/wwwgfx_cur/orion-trapezium.gif

Use low power to see the full extent of the nebula - on a dark, moonless night it's breathtaking :)

Congratulations on finding it !.

Not sure about the "plastic thingy" fogging ? - do you mean the finder scope ?.

There are no moving parts on the Ethos - don't get tempted to unscrew anything - if a lens drops out don't even think about the cost of repair !.

I too saw the Orion Nebula for the first time tonight. Yes, the Moon was too bright but I saw the Trapezium and the cloud and look forward to a darker night for a better view now that I know where to look.

Yes the finder scope, The plastic thing on it. It just went fog. I had to wipe it with a cloth to find an object as I couldn't see anything thru the plastic on Telrad finder scope, When I wiped it. It was still very blurry. Any ideas how to keep it fog free?

PC295443-web4.jpg

I too saw the Orion Nebula for the first time tonight. Yes, the Moon was too bright but I saw the Trapezium and the cloud and look forward to a darker night for a better view now that I know where to look.

Vulcan. Congrats, It's my 2nd time viewing the Nebula but it's my first time in finding it.

What equipment did you use to view the Nebula? I live in a LP area but viewing the Orion Nebula was amazing, Looking forward going to a dark side to view the Nebula.

Have you viewed any Galaxies yet? I yet to look/find one.

Yes the finder scope, The plastic thing on it. It just went fog. I had to wipe it with a cloth to find an object as I couldn't see anything thru the plastic on Telrad finder scope, When I wiped it. It was still very blurry. Any ideas how to keep it fog free?

PC295443-web4.jpg

The cheapest way to help stop the Telrad window from dewing up :Home Built Astronomy - Telrad Dew Shield

If you put a tissue into the dewshield between uses, that will help

to absorb moisture.

There are also heated versions of the dewshield, for when the dew

really kicks in.

HTH, Ed.

Vulcan. Congrats, It's my 2nd time viewing the Nebula but it's my first time in finding it.

What equipment did you use to view the Nebula? I live in a LP area but viewing the Orion Nebula was amazing, Looking forward going to a dark side to view the Nebula.

NexStar 6se with 13mm Hyperion eyepiece.

Have you viewed any Galaxies yet? I yet to look/find one.

The Andromeda Galaxy is my next target for the next clear night. I have worked out where it is relative to Casseopia. I could actually see Casseopia from my bed last night - amazing.

Archived