SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Getting started with photos (and astronomy!)

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this (or whether it should be in the imagery section) so feel free to move or tell me to repost elsewhere...

I got my first telescope for Christmas (Meade etx80) and so just starting to find my way around. I quite like the idea of taking photos of what I see and wondered what a good starting point is. I have a film SLR (well my wife does!) but live in the Caribbean where developing is expensive so would prefer digital (also as I expect early images not to be great). I own various digital point and shoot cameras and at some point may buy a DSLR but not for a while.

I saw the celestron neximage and this looked like a good staring point but I also read various posts that suggest buying a webcam (like Cheap Philips SPC880 webcam - 49269 - discounts & offers) instead and an adaptor as it will give the same results for cheaper.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks

p.s. I forgot to say my laptop of preference is a Mac but I also have a windows laptop if it is easier.

The SPC900 would be a good place to start for Planets and the Moon.

As you've already guessed you need a laptop, a Mac can be used and we do have many members who use Mac's, but there are more software choices for Windows based machines.

A lot of the software that you would need is free.

Film astrophotography is hard and IMO avoided at all costs... :) Digital much better.

You'll get on well with the SPC900, it's a great camera to cut your teeth on!

Ant

sorry to jump in tiredboy, i just wanted to thank rowan46 for link.

cheers mate

Same here

Great link and just what I was looking for before my 880 arrives .... and then hopefully a clear night

:)

Archived