Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what are the odds?

Now I know y'all aren't going to believe me, but on Sat night at about 21.30, while observing M79 with the 10" dob (think I had the 25mm EP in) I was amazed to see a meteor streak through the EP heading East to West. About 2 minutes later another meteor went through the same view! The second event was also seen by a fellow SPOGger, who was also on M79.

Are there any statisticians in who would care to have a stab at calculating odds on this?

The more aperture the more you see. With 16" of aperture you see loads of really dim one shoot by.

With my 5" scope all i see all night every night is satellites passing by. I can imagine how much of a pain they would be with a 16" scope..............especially if trying to image.

I think my record is 50 satellites in about 3 hrs of observing.

I once saw a double meteor streak across the FOV as I was observing Polaris, I then looked up with my own eyes to see them travelling west, both components were very faint and orange in colour for about 15-20 secs, in that time they crossed around half way from Polaris to around 20 degrees above the western horizon.

Archived