Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Back on the merry-go-round

Hi all, back again.

Well I feel I am still in limbo, having been let down by a supplier on a nexstar 130slt. I am still unsure where to put my money.

Explorer 150pds on eq3-2

Nexstar 130 slt Goto

Nexstar 127 slt (mak) Goto

Those who have read my other threads will be aware that I am new to telescopes but have a basic knowledge of the night sky. I am looking to use my telescope at home but will also be traveling around Europe in my motorhome in the summer so it needs to be able to travel. I want to view DSO as well as looking at planets. I would like to get into astrophotogrphy but am aware that this may be something to come to later.

I am unsure if I went for an eq3 mount and was observing planets or DSO for that instance how much I would have to have my hand on the tiller, as it were. Obviously the EP would have an impact on that answer, any thoughts?

In looking at the scopes in question these are my pros and cons:

Explorer 150pds -

pros, aperture.

cons, size and mount for transporting? No Goto

Nexstar 130 slt -

Pros, Goto, size

Cons, less light than 150, stability issues?

Nexstar 127 slt -

Pros, size, Goto, use for terrestrial use

Cons, f11 aperture, not good for DSO.

I would really be open to your thoughts.

P. S. Discounted a newt on a dob due to size and when traveling I would not always be able to guarantee have a good flat terrain.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was also let down on the NexStar 130 SLT (through Amazon), but managed to order one from OpticStar... They have them in stock (or they did when I ordered mine on Friday)!

Other than that I'm a complete novice... So in no position to offer any other advice, sorry!

Rob

has anyone suggested this one Maksutov - Skywatcher Skymax 127 (EQ3-2) cons smaller apparture than 150, no goto. pro's more compact than 150 much steadier than slt mounts, no batteries, use for terrestrial use. I know we said maks are not as good for deep space but they are still pretty good. I have a 5inch sct and I see enough in deep space to keep me coming back.

Thanks Rowan,

Hmm.. yes I had also thought about this scope. I suppose I am having a difficulty considering GOTO or not, thinking, should I get a scope like this on an EQ3 mount and then at some point in the future upgrade the mount to an EQ5 or EQ6 pro.

The idea of f11 is a little disconcerting regarding viewing DSO but your comments are a little reassuring and welcomed.

Yes I suppose it comes down to GOTO or not, the idea of tacking then taking your eye of the object of a minute or two appeals but speaking allowed it makes me think that it would be easy to pick it up again.

Rowan, can you give me some idea of what DSO you can view with something like the 127?

To be honest, DSOs are just going to look like a very faint fuzzy grey blob in whatever you use unless go BIG, so I'd at least plump for something which would be good for planetary and lunar viewing. For that reason, I plump for the MAK, plus maybe a pair of binoculars. Very transportable: the scope will give you good views of planetary, lunar and double-star objects, and the bins will be good for wide-field stuff.

I purchased my Skymax 127 mak on the GoTo mount a little under a year ago and now I can't remember the last time I used the GoTo. I Like to find things on my own so to speak. I use Stelarium to locate where objects that I want to view are then hunt them down myself. I can't be bothered setting the GoTo up so I just use the slew controls. If I were spending my money again I would either purchase it on the supatrak or the EQ mount.

I would like to put in a word for the poor Dob :) You get more aperture for your money with them. I have comments on the negative points you mentioned.

Firstly, in practice Dobs aren't picky about terrain. I routinely set up in fields and have yet to find a location which doesn't have a good spot.

Secondly, the size isn't as much of an issue as many people think. An 8" F6, for instance, is very portable indeed and wouldn't take up much space in a motor-home. In the past I've taken my 9" on a plane. If you can fit an SCT of a given aperture into a car, I bet a truss Dob of at least the same size would also have fitted. I'm waiting on an 18" which will fit in my small, non-hatch-back, sedan. It would probably even fit in a mini. You couldn't say that about a 16" SCT.

I've seen the Meade ETX125, so of course I can see how portable those scopes can be. I just mention the above because a 6" or 8" Dob would probably cost less yet give you much better views. All depends what's right for you. Good luck!

Umadog, can you give me some idea of physical length of something like the 8" dob and the cubic size of the mount. I take it that once the (mdf?) mount is built it cannot be disassembled and the reassembled time and time again.

Mount will have to stay built. Looking at Orion's solid tube Dobs:

The Orion SkyQuest XT8i will fit into a custom bag that is 46"x13.5"x18.5". The tube itself is 1.5" shorter than that, so about 1.15m. I can't find dimensions for the rocker box but looking at the photo, it extends about 40% of the way up the tube. So it must have a height of about 46cm. I'd guess its' diameter is about 1.8 times that of the objective: about 36 cm. Don't forget that you can stack stuff inside the rocker box (including the scope) when in transit.

Here's a PDF of the instruction manual for the 6", 8", and 10" so you can see for yourself (specs at the back).

http://content.telescope.com/rsc/img/catalog/product/instructions/29226.pdf

Finally, if you want the ultimate in portability check this out this:

Sumerian Optics

They're hand-made and I think your budget stretches to his 6". Incredibly, the 10" is airline carry-on, weighs under 10 kg, and costs 900 Euros. Disadvantages: set-up time will take longer than a solid tube. Doesn't come with a shroud. The ultra-portables must be <F5 so they'll be picky with eyepieces. Can't use the very heaviest eyepieces (e.g. 31mm Nagler).

Hi Oliver,

Dobs are great if you are going to a site and then back home but If your going to be doing a lot of travelling then a dob might be a bit big. I take out a 10" dob to sites and the packing box is 450mm x 450mm x1200mm and this excludes the base. A dob with a telescopic tube might be better but I think it would still be a bit bulky.

Since you have a while before summer, I'd encourage you to go a show room and see for yourself. Compactness is important to you and, believe me, these things look very different in person. The numbers and the photos only tell half the story. When it comes to compactness I think a 6" Dob will come out on top compared to an equatorially mounted Newt like the explorer 150. Tripods and eq heads take up quite a bit of space and take longer to set up. A small altaz Mak, on the other hand, will be a different proposition. Even the eq mounted ones will probably require a smaller eq head. Don't forget, though, that the motor driven ones that aren't equatorially mounted can only be pointed with the motors (I think that's true for all of them, perhaps someone knows of exceptions). So you need a power source to observe and if the motors die you're screwed.

See SCS Astro for the Dobs:

The 8" is here, but may be a little over-budget.

Orion SkyQuest XT8 IntelliScope. - SCS Astro

The 6" is closer:

Orion SkyQuest XT6 IntelliScope - SCS Astro

Both of those come in "classic" form, which means no inteliscope object locator and lower quality bearings. Those aren't on the website as far as I know, but SCS will probably be able to source them (they list the 4.5" classic). The 8" classic probably would be within budget. If you go for that, I'd recommend budgeting an extra 20 or 30 quid to upgrade the bearing surfaces to something like EbonyStar. I've used the 8" classic and found the motions to be a somewhat sticky. My XX12 inteliscope has acceptable bearing motions and seems to have the same design as the solid-tube inteliscopes. A company such as Beacon Hill Telescopes could probably help you with parts and give advice.

I will admit to being a Dob enthusiast!

Skywatchers at FLO look like they may be nice too. I've never used one, though, so comment is just based on the photos. The flextubes may be particularly suitable for you, but they only come in larger apertures and are pricy.

The xt6 is only 1m long and f8, it seems you can choose to use the Goto function or use manually, is this correct? It appears ideal for home and the van! But does it tavel well ? I suppose just packed and stored with care.?

Archived