Scope ok?

Hey guys i'm new to the site.

started using a telescope recently, not a very good one, but it inspired me to get some kit.

the scope im thinking of buying is the Orion SkyQuest XT8 Classic Dobsonian Telescope | Orion Telescopes

could you give your opinions on this scope please. is it a good first telescope, my budget is £300 or $467,

would be interested in any other recommendations also,

thankyou for your time.

welcome to sgl, where are you based if its the us get that one if its the uk that model seems to be a bit harder to scource and may cost a bit more. this one is basically the same scope made by the same firm under a different name Homepage - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian I hope this helps and as to if its any good I've never owned one of these but plenty of 200p owners rave about them and they can't all be wrong

Hello "Az", welcome to SGL. I have an Orion XT8 and am very pleased with the optical and mechanical performance. As already mentioned, the 200P seems to share the same optics at less price, however the XT8 can benefit from the intellescope manual GOTO upgrade, I'm not sure whether this holds good for the 200P. Either scope would be a great starter scope.

Hey thanks for all the tips, i finally (bit the bullet) and ordered my first half decent scope, well massive upgrade from the £30 scope i had from a crappy store, i ended up ordering Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Telescope , found a good price at Skywatcher*Skyliner 200P Telescope: Best Deals On Astronomical Telescopes, Eyepieces and Accessories - Skywatcher, Meade, William Optics, Bosma, Bresser, Celestron, Helios At Ace Cameras - Canon, Leica, Swarovski, Bushnell, Nikon, Avian & All Top Bra

can't wait for it to arrive, also ordered a 2x / 3x barlows and eye piece / filter set.

thanks again guys :)

Archived