Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2nd Jupiter....problems

Celeste

Looks very much like my first go....I have been told I need to get a 5x barlow :D but the prices are a bit :) Here's my 2nd attempt using a 2x barlow...almost the same size as without barlow and I still need to fix the focuser :o It's pretty bad huh lol

Capture14_01_201118_35_58DONE-1.jpg

What focal ratio is your scope? Is it F5, as per your previous post? So should be F10 with Barlow?

You could try a second 2x Barlow to give you 4x. Not ideal as it's another piece of glass in the setup, but might be cheaper than a 5x! Is your scope a newtonian? If so, I guess you don't have a diagonal, because that's another trick: to put the diagonal in after the Barlow to increase the focal length a bit more. You could maybe try an extension tube between the Barlow and the camera.

There's a fair bit of colour fringing there. Was it low in the sky when you imaged? Have you tried the RGB Align function in Registax (moves the red and blue channels up and down)? You could probably correct it a little bit.

How many frames did you capture, and how many did you stack?

Don't knock it too much, though. It's recognisably Jupiter, with stripes, so a good start. The lovely pics presented on this forum make imaging look a lot easier than it is!

Rachel

:) wow Rachel thats alot of questions lol...I did try to get my info in a sig but it doesn't seem to have worked, but yes it is F5, skywatcher 150P-DS, no diagonal. What does colour fringing mean? No not looked at all the options in Registax I watched a few tuts on youtube and followed them. Frames....About 800 more (last time I looked it said 800 anyway) Stacked I have no idea how do I find out? PHEW lol I think thats it, I have been looking at a 5x powermate, are they good? Or would a cheaper barlow do the same with such a basic cam?

a x5 powermate is going to be getting towards £100 and it is not the easiest thing to keep an image in veiw at that focal length.you could probably pick a x3 barlow for around £30-£40 2nd hand.

what mount are you using?

what capture programme and stacking programme?

Sorry for all the questions :) - hard to troubleshoot unless you know what went on.

In Registax (which version... 5?), you know how many frames you imported in the original video. It should display on the bottom bar. Once you have done the initial alignment, you can select the minimum quality frame that you would allow through (eg. 90%). This will dump the poorest quality frames and the new number of frames carried through should display at the bottom. When you get to the Stack page, you can bring up a stack graph from which you can see the overall quality of all the images. You can use the sliders on the graph to further select the best frames to carry forward. Again, the number of frames in the stack will be displayed, and you should be able to see it change as you move the sliders. This is how you know how many frames you are stacking.

As for the RGB, on the Wavelet page, there are a lot of extra functions, such as histogram, gamma and RGB Align. If you open the RGB alignment, you can get it to estimate RGB alignment for you or you can adjust it manually. It moves the red and blue channels pixel by pixel and may help in reducing some of the red and blue fringe to the top and bottom of your image.

Hope that's not too convoluted.

Rachel

Archived