Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Trouble mounting EQ2 motor

Hi all,

I have been talking with Themos on here regarding his EQ2 motor that he has no use of. He has sent it to me to try however I am having a great dela of problems trying to mount it. So natrually I have come here for help.

Here is a link to my album: Stargazers Lounge - Abernus's Album: EQ2 Mount I have uploaded some pics of the mount, motor and the best motor connection I can get.

The problem I have is the tension spring seems to get in the way, the gears on tm motor only seen to have 1mm of connection to the gear on my mount. The biggest problem I have is I can seem to figure out how the thing sits on the mount. I have spent about an hour trying all various ways but I can't get it to fit correctly.

Please can someone offer any advise, I have followed the manual but it's not helping. I am begining to think my EQ2 is not a genuine EQ2 mount.

Thanks

Ah, I think I may know what is going on. When I played with it, I removed the small gear from the motor and attached a flexible coupling in its place. When I put the gear back on the axle, I may have pushed it too far, too close to the motor housing. There is a small hex screw that holds the gear to the axle, see if you can loosen that, pull the gear a few mm further away and retighten.

Cheers, I will give that a try when my folks get back as I don't have anything that will fit but my dad will. However can someone please help with the fitting side. The spring and clutch seem to get in the way.

If anyone has one already fitted and could take some photos that might be a big help.

Thanks

Thanks for the pics, but I have been at this since yesterday and there is no way it is going to fit my mount.

The setup on my mount is backwards to that of the pics. Looking at the pics as you look at the mount the motor fits on the right hand side. On my mount if you look at it the motor has to fit on the left hand side. Because of this the spring will always cross the gear on the mount, the clutch is always in the way (by this I mean the clutch is meeting the spring)

Also in your pics the clutch is behing the main gear, on my mount the clutch is in frton of the main gear and there is no way to alter this.

I will try and take some more pics to illustrate. I think this is what you get from a cheap mount?

Hmmm

I've got a Bresser mount which has the same problem!

Take the cam plate off the screw and rotate the motor to the other side of the large gear - I then use a wire tie to hold the spring and get tension - you also have to reverse the N-S direction on the hand controller....when it works it works very well ( I use it for a PST and solar observing)

If you still have problems let me know and I'll take a couple of detailed images for you.

Merlin66 Please can you post some pics. I really want to get this to work as I hate every few mins having to fine adjust. Also I am dying to try out the webcam andthe DSLR to have a go at imaging stuff.

Looking forward to the pics :)

I have the same with what I think is a CG3 mount that I was told was an EQ2 equivalent. The EQ2 motor fits on the east side of the mount, but must be intended to go on the west as it drives the RA backwards on my mount. I opened the motor hand box and swapped the motor wires around to reverse its motion.

Ah, interesting, my mount looks exactly like Merlin66's Bresser. I must change my signature!!

The good news is that the motor fits and drives the mount perfectly. I too removed the clutch thingy and the the spring.

As my grab and go I can get 60s subs with my Canon 1000D and its standard 18-55mm lens.

Thank you very much for the pics, I have removed the clutch and mounted it like yours. I have used a few cable ties to connect the spring to the Alt bolt on the other side of the mount. This for me keeps the tension on the sping pulling the motor on to the wheel.

The weather for the week ahead is better, we have gusts of 26 mph atm but clear skies. So I will get to test very soon :)

• 1 month later...

Archived