NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

impromptu counterweighing

Andrew*

So after little success with the 4.5" on the EQ5 without a counterweight the other night, I decided to take some time to balance the scope properly. First I put the scope central on the mount, so even with extra weight on the open end (SLR in the focusser) it doesn't tip forward when I loosen the declination axis lock. First part done.

Then I tried to use the EQ5's counterweight, but even right at the base of the bar, it pulled the whole scope round

Right. Obviously I can't use that. This is where my very limited practical skills are turned to. So I got a plastic bag and hung the jug on the very end of the counterweight bar (I want as light a counterweight as possible). I found mum's fine bone china teapot and filled it with water, and started to fill the bag. OOPS! It wasn't waterproof, so I got some old bank statements wet, thank god!

I replaced the bag with a plastic measuring jug hanging dangerously on a piece of string. It was a bit of an unsteady solution, but it did the trick. The idea was that the volume in ml of water needed to counterweigh the scope would be the same in grams. I filled the jug with water and carefully loosened the RA axis clamp, but it was still too light. So I emptied a little water and found the heaviest small objects around. I popped them in the water, one by one until the scope was generally stable, then weighed the total counterweight. It was only 1.6kg. Great, Second part done.

Now I need to find something weighing 1.6kg and find a weigh (!) of putting it on the counterweight bar. Any ideas?

Andrew

Archived