Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting DSLR magnification for planets?

I'm using a Canon 300D directly connected to my Skywatcher 150p dob. I've taken a few images of Jupiter, but they are tiny and I'm not seeing anywhere near as much detail as I can see with my eye through a 10mm eyepiece.

I did see in a skywatching book I got years a go you can get camera adapters were you can slot eyepieces in them, but can't seem to see any online.

I have got a 2x barlow which has made things a little closer, but wondered if there was anything else I can do?

Johnny I have the exact adapter you are referring to. It's called an eyepiece projection adapter. see link below. I actually bought this one from ScopesnSkies.

Antares 1.25" combined T-mount camera adaptor and eyepiece projection unit

I have only used it a couple of times on the moon and sun and I have to say the webcam solution (which I also have) as suggested by John gives better results so far. But I have not really given the projection thing a good run yet.

I have the 400D and you will suffer the same problem as me in trying to focus accurately without liveview - it's not easy is it. I find the eyepiece projection makes focussing even on the moon more difficult than prime focussing with the camera mounted direct on the telescope.

Can I ask a dumb question - where does the barlow fit into things if you are coupling the camera direct? I cant see any way of introducing the barlow in my set up. Maybe I missed something though :icon_eek:

Actually Johnny I may have thought that last bit through myself. I have to take the eyepiece holder out of the way and screw the t-ring direct on to the scope. If I leave the eyepiece holder in place and have an eyepiece adapter attached to the t-ring I don't have enough inward travel to bring the camera to focus. If I was using the eyepiece adapter I would obviously be able to slot it into a barlow lens.

I'm still interested in how you are connecting things - I could learn something from you :icon_eek:.

So presumably for DSO the technique is the same and you have to buy one of those four figure CCD camera to get any kind of magnification?

Nooo. Most DSOs are bigger (apparent size) than the almost point-like planets. My M42 has been taken with the EOS directly attached to the scope. If you do the same, you should get (almost) the same size.

Nooo. Most DSOs are bigger (apparent size) than the almost point-like planets. My M42 has been taken with the EOS directly attached to the scope. If you do the same, you should get (almost) the same size.

Oh gotcha :iamwithstupid:As you can see I have only just started anything DSO related.

Archived