NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CG5-GT or Orion EQ-G Sirius?

Hello,

I want to get a mount for astrophotography using an Astro-Tech AT65EDQ quadruplet. I think that the included field flattener is a nice touch. Which mount will be best for taking DSLR pictures with it? Over here in the US, the CG5-GT goes for around $600 and the Sirius is about $1149. They both have the same listed weight capacity (30 lbs), so if the difference is not that much I will go obviously with the CG-5. What do you think? I will also be using my Omni XLT 120 for visual on the same mount.

Gustavo, although the mounts have the same specified capacity, the Orion is the far more capable performer. The Celestron is being optimistic with it's 30lb weight capacity, while the Orion is realistic.

But there's a lot more to it than that. Over here the Orion is known as the HEQ5 Pro ( i think you now have the Skywatcher in the US as well) and considered a complete class above the cheaper CG5. The motors, features and finish are all at a higher level. And considered worth the extra if you can afford it.

I've been using the CG5 -GT for 18 months now and have absolutely no grumbles - it has performed brilliantly and I would have to say that the load claims ARE realistic. I've had the mount well loaded up and it's performed fine. It's essentially the same as the EQ5 Pro - even made by the same company.

30lb = 13.6kg. My CG5 is seriously out of its depth with a scope of that weight on top. Tested it with a Meade 10" SCT ota and wobbly is the only word for it. Also used someone else's C10NGT and the damp down times were pretty poor, although they were happy with it. But that said, the HEQ5 didn't cope that well with the Meade 10" either.

Archived