SPC880 Easy Exposure mods HELP!!

Hi Everyone

I'm sure this has already been asked no end of times so forwarding links welcomed. I have done a quick search of the forum and couldn't find anything so my question is I have a flashed SPC880 and wondered if there are any quick fixes for long exposure. Only the brighter galaxies, nebs & clusters will be expected from a cheap CCD webcam but it would open up my options. I have read another thread that suggests there may be some DSO I could get un-modded is this possible and which DSO's and what settings would be best??? I have found some modding sites but it all to techy for me. I don't mind DIY and a bit of soldering but sourcing mod parts was my big concern.

Thanks

SPACEBOY

This site Philips SPC900NC uncovered

has detailed pictures of what's involved for the SPC900, I guess the 880 will be similar.

You can also flash it to raw mode: http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-discussion/116007-raw-mode-phillips-spc880-modded-spc900.html

I received my 2 SPC880s at work today from Morgan but forgot to bring them home. Doh!

Thanks Gary but any idea where I get the dead bug from ?? Dose Maplins have these sorts of thing on the shelf ??? Philips SPC900NC uncovered great link but beginning to think it's out of my league again :D Hope I don't F'up the cam in the process. Has anyone had a go at doing mods them self and how hard would you say it is? I'm more a visual kind a guy so if it means messing up the cam I'd rather just keep it for planets & lunar.

I received my 2 SPC880s at work today from Morgan but forgot to bring them home. Doh!

Bet next day was the first time you actually couldn't wait to get to work :icon_eek:

Hi I used the guide mentioned above "Philips SPC900NC Uncovered" to mod my cam, The spc900,880 is the easiest cam to mod you just have to bend some pins at the plug junction and a bit of soldering. You could try Rapid Electronics online for parts.

The "bug" you can get from Maplins, also the tiny resistors. I've soldered the dead bug resistors but haven't gone any further yet. For wires, you can use strands of that ribbon wire that connects drives to motherboards, if you have any spare. I've wrecked a DSLR doing a mod but I'm not worried about bricking a £10 webcam.

AHAAA........... just the job :):hello2: This is great BIG THANKYOU JC!!

I actually did do quick searches on the forum but I don't think I could have worded it very well as I only got 2 links and they had nothing to do with mods :o

SPACEBOY

• 2 weeks later...
Nice job! How did you secure the PCB onto the case?

Thanks Thermos.

I drilled the hole with the intension of gluing the cam to the box but it was a tad small. Too lazy to try drilling the box again I tried the 1.25" adapter and it worked out that just tightening it all was good enough to hold everything in place and as there is no obstruction to the CCD I considered it as "jobs a good'n" :)

I have to admit it is a fiddly job as you don't realize from pictures just how small the connections are you have to make but a bit of patience and a steady hand it's possible. I wouldn't have said it's as neat & tidy in the box as some examples but I figure "out of sight out of mind" and as long as it works and thats all that matters.

I would like to upgrade the software to raw and add an amp off mod but I'm not getting much feedback from my inquiries and unless it's a step by step instruction how to do it I don't feel I would have the confidence to make the mods myself.

Archived