NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

starting in DSO imaging - need some specific advice

Hi folks!

I just popped my head in on the newbie forums and have had some great advice from everyone so far... but ned some specifics...

I'm looking to get into the 'beginner' end of DSO imaging (with a brief detour to some planetary imaging en-route). I have been advised that the key piece of equipment is a good mount, a 'HEQ5 PRO' has been suggested as the lower end of what is needed.

I've also been advised a refractor that has a short focal length is a good bet, up to 100mm or so dia.

Can any of the DSO imaging folks on here give any advice on the specifics of what the spec of a suitable scope would be for this kind of work, eg: what constitutes a 'short focal length'? Even better, are there any specific scopes anyone has used and can recomend?

Also, all the 100mm or so refractors I've seen come with a mount and tripod... if I'm buying a more expensive mount seperately, will any retailers sell the scope by itself?

My expectations aren't high... the pics in the 'show us your first DSO image' thread were all above what I was hoping for so my sights aren't set insanely high! I'm not expecting Hubble :-)

I was also interested to know if anyone can advise on what to actually image with? I have an EOS 20D which I could use, but have seen a lot of people get good results with CCD's instead... what's the best thing to start with? Is the SLR a good bet as it's something I'm already familiar with?

I use Photoshop professionally so the image edditing side is not a problem... I just need to create the images :-)

Sorry for the questions! And thanks in advance for your help folks!

Ben

Hi,

A good starter scope to go with the HEQ5 is a Skywatcher 80ED which can be bought seperately. Once you have that then you need an adaptor to connect your 20D to the scope.

I've just started and have an HEQ5, ED80 "Pro Series - Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro OTA", Canon 450d, SW Field Flattener "Reducers/Flatteners - Skywatcher Field Flattener",

and Canon T-Ring adaptor "Adaptors - T Rings" and an old laptop to use to capture the images from the camera (alternatively you could use a timed remote for the camera).

What SkyExplorer has recommended is good advice. I use a WOMegrez 72 APO which is also good, you need a focal ratio of between F6 and F10.

You should be able to buy the scope separately from the Mount. However as the HEQ5 and ED80 are both made by skywatcher you should be able to get them as a pair.

Carole

Good advice already which I would agree with.

The SW ED80, HEQ5 and your 20D will be a great start.

If you want to go for long exposures ( 2 or 3 minutes plus) though, you'll need some sort of autoguiding setup.

This doesn't need to be expensive, and it isn't the dark art that some would have you believe....the first time I tried it, it worked staright away....in fact, I have more trouble these days since I started to fiddle!!

There are 2 ways to autoguide, an Off Axis Guider, and a separate guidescope.

The OAG uses a small pickup prism just in front of the camera, which sends a small part of the field of view to another camera, or webcam, and this then talks to the mount via software and a computer, and sends small guiding corrections.

A guidescope works in the same way, but is a separate telescope, as opposed to using the same scope that you're imaging with, and with the sort of setup you're considering, would sit next to the main scope on a side-by side bar. There are a few on the forum who have made perfectly good guidescopes from finders.

A guidescope doesn't need to be high quality....pretty well anything will do, and you can use a webcam with the lens removed and an adapter added as the camera.

The most popular, and free, guiding software is PHD, and is really simple to use.

All that said though, if I were you I'd forget guiding for the moment, and jst stick to short exposures until you get the hang of things....getting too complex to begin with can be a bit off-putting!

Cheers

Rob

The first thing you should invest in, before spending any money on scopes and mounts is

Books - Making Every Photon Count - Steve Richards

A very good book by Steppenwolf on here, and goes into a lot of detail on the options available, how to setup, capture etc.

Otherwise it's pretty much been covered, but have a look at

Pro Series - Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro OTA

with the Syntrek mount. Plenty of ability in that setup (near enough exactly what I'm using, and you can add guiding without changes to the mount).

The 20d will do the job nicely, although if you're wanting to upgrade and you are looking specifically for Astro, the 1000d is a bit cheaper than the 450d and I don't think the 3 small additions the 450d has on the 1000d buys very much (spot metering, 2 Mp's and... I can't remember the third one).

Thanks so far to all....

John, someone advised I get that book yesterday on the newbie thread so I ordered it straight away! Looks like a very useful read!

I'm gonna hold off buying anything for a while... read the book, attend another couple of meets at my local club... get some more advice.

I'm kinda torn as I'd really like to have a set-up and scope I can use to just do that first bit of observing and actually SEE some things before I start the imaging... but at the same time I don't want to skimp on what I buy and then wish I'd spent more in the first place :-)

I think my best bet may be to invest in a really good mount now, I may then get a relatively cheap scope to go on it (possibly a larger dia reflector), maybe a second hand one, to get some observing in, maybe try and image planets etc as a starting point... then know I've got the mount there ready, once I'm more experienced with using it, to start the DSO stuff when I can afford to get a refractor that is right for the job.

That Evostar 80ED looks really nice, FLO also seem to have a couple of other potentially suitable refractors on clearance at the mo around the £500 - £600 mark which look pretty nice...

Anyway... thanks so far for the advice, do please keep it coming! I can't tell you how glad I am I came on the forums here before spending any money ;-)

Ben

Actually, if you want to start observing and seeing things now, you could do a lot worse than to get yourself a pair of the Revelation 15x80 binoculars that FLO have on offer. You'll be amazed at the differences they make over nothing at all.

I regularly use my 15x70's once I've setup the rig for an imaging run.

I use a Skywatcher Equinox 80, which has a slightly shorter focal length (and hence a faster [better] focal ratio for imaging) than the 80ED, and I am told that it has a better finish. It is available without a mount.

The HEQ5 is definately THE starter imaging mount. It is perfect for a short focal length refractor. Just get the Syntrek version if you are going to control it with a computer (quite likely as it is much better - you will need an EQDIR), only get the PRO if you want to use the handset

EDIT - Just noticed an Equinox 80 for sale for £350 on AB&S

If you are thinking of imaging using your Canon DSLR when you (eventually) get your setup organized, you could look at Yoddha's Astro Photography Tool (APT) http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-discussion/95482-astro-photography-tool-apt.html.

It is an incredibly useful tool for automating imaging sessions for Canon DSLRs. You can find out a bit about it on his site here: www.astroplace.net - APT - Introduction. There is a demo which is more or less fully featured, which would give you the chance to work out if it would be useful to you.

Hi Ben

I can't be of much help as I've just started with the DSLR attached to a 66mm scope. I haven't put this up before as I've only just finished playing and had some tuition on photoshop last night.

This is me first image and was only 5 frames, no darks, all the wrong things to do and I know it's not great but I'm pleased for a first attempt. Hope to improve on this but a happy beginner.

cheers

DAve

post-12841-133877517595_thumb.jpg

Archived